TSJDesign

Simple (I hope) macro question

I am a complete macro dunce, so please forgive if this is a elementary question.  

I would like to make a seemingly simple modification to a "user" macro that ships with x8 - FormattedOpeningWidth.  All I want to do is add a "/" character between the foot and inch results (currently a 3'-6" opening gives a result of 36.  I would like to see 3/6)  I looked at the macro and realized I haven't a clue, so I'm hoping someone here can provide the magic syntax to make this happen.

Thank you!

Todd

Todd,

Copy/Paste the following as a replacement for the existing:

arr = width.round.divmod(12)

arr = "#{arr[0]}#{arr[1].round}"

arr = arr[0]+"/" + arr[1]

Or create a new macro with that code. 

Characters in a string are numbered 0,1,2,3,4,5......

So arr[0] is the first character, arr[1] is the second, etc.  The 3rd line just puts a (slash) between those 2.

Joe - thank you so much, worked perfectly!

Your explanation is helpful, although macros in their entirety are absolutely baffling to me.  I'm usually pretty good at reverse engineering things, but without even the basic knowledge of syntax, I would not know where to start.

Thank you so much for your help - my client will be happy!

Todd

>Characters in a string are numbered 0,1,2,3,4,5......

Techncally these are not "characters", it is an array. ...and  divmod produces array of a quotient and modulus. 

There are typed as Float's.

See

http://ruby-doc.org/core-2.3.0/Numeric.html#method-i-divmod

One can also do

a,b = width.round.divmod(12)

I recommend you to create your own extended class Float and save it into 'FloatExtended.rb' under Documents\ChiefArchitect v8\scripts. This will allow You instead of putting dreaded logic in every macro to use include file... 

require 'FloatExtended.rb'

//after that you couldimmediately use...

width.to_ftin(16) 

//instead of a giant macro you now can use one liner

>Characters in a string are numbered 0,1,2,3,4,5......

Techncally these are not "characters", it is an array. ...and  divmod produces array of a quotient and modulus. 

There are typed as Float's.

Technically you are correct.  But for the amateurs it's sometimes simpler to show a sequence of commands rather than the most elegant programming syntax.  Also, you didn't show the definition of to_ftin that would be needed to put the slash in.

I've found that most Chief users (at least on the forum) are very reluctant to learn Ruby. 

Here is my class FloatExtended.rb to be placed into C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X# Data\Scripts

class Float
    def to_ftin(n=16)
		arr = self.divmod(12)
  	    inch_frac = ((arr[1]-arr[1].floor)*n).round.quo(n)
		result = case inch_frac
		when Rational(1.0)
			"#{arr[0]}'-#{arr[1].ceil}\""
		when Rational(0.0)
			"#{arr[0]}'-#{arr[1].floor}\""
		else
			"#{arr[0].floor}'-#{arr[1].floor} #{inch_frac}\""
		end
		result
    end

def to_inches(n=8)
  	    inch_frac = ((self-self.floor)*n).round.quo(n)
		result = case inch_frac
		when Rational(1.0)
			"#{self.ceil}\""
		when Rational(0.0)
			"#{self.floor}\""
		else
			"#{self.floor} #{inch_frac}\""
		end
		result
	end
end

Using it is very simple, this macro would be two liner.

require "FloatExtended.rb"

width.to_ftin

or

209.to_ftin

For your case the line "#{self.floor} #{inch_frac}\"" needs to be changed into "#{self.floor}" + "/" + "#{inch_frac}\""

def to_full_inches
		self.round
	end

def to_full_ftin
	    arr = self.round(0).divmod(12)
		"#{arr[0]}'-#{arr[1].round}\"" 
	end

Last two methods to complete the class.

So that entire ceiling_height:

(ceiling_elevation-floor_elevation).to_full_ftin + " CLG.HT."

def to_full_inches
		self.round
	end

def to_full_ftin
	    arr = self.round(0).divmod(12)
		"#{arr[0]}'-#{arr[1].round}\"" 
	end

Last two methods to complete the class.

So that entire ceiling_height:

(ceiling_elevation-floor_elevation).to_full_ftin + " CLG.HT."

FWIW, I already have a FloatClass.rb with similar but mine does Metric as well.

Hey there - 

So I just noticed that the method from the top of the post does not appear deal with openings with components that are not single numbers (for instance a 2'-10" door show as 2/1, and a 12'-6" opening shows up as 1/2). 

There was discussion after that post, but unfortunately it was (far) over my head.  Any ideas?

Todd, take a look at a code I posted, specifically to_ftin. Replace - with /. Or use the full class I supplied. E.g. width.to_ftin...

B