Eye Dropper Question

English

When using the eye dropper tool does it add a new material to the base wall -- say the Siding 4?  I have been doing that and when editing a wall polyline in 3D view which I had painted with shakes from another wall I accidentally deleted it and I notice the original siding was still there.  So my question is should I not be doing that and instead create a new wall type with shakes instead of siding and then change the wall type instead of painting with the eye dropper?

Thanks

Alan

Short answer...

For walls, if you want an accurate material list, change through the wall definition dbx.  If material list isn't important, it doesn't really matter.  I would just strongly recommend you uncheck Blend Colors With Materials when using the eyedropper/material painter.  That particular options should only be used in a very limited number of circumstances.

For most (if not all) objects other than walls, using the "spray can" has the same effect as changing material through the appropriate dbx.  So either way is fine.  Again,  make sure "Blend" is toggled OFF (unchecked).