mkennedy2000

Help! Roof planes gone wild.....

I am having trouble modeling this (seemingly) simple and common roof.

Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated :)

I am always glad when people attach the plan without being asked.  I hope this serves as an example for everyone else.  It would really help if you could describe what exactly you're having a problem with though. 

First, open the Wall Specification dbx for these three walls:

post-95-0-74090700-1458164669_thumb.png

and check Roof>Roof Options>High Shed/Gable Wall. That will get you this:

post-95-0-79022600-1458164733_thumb.png

Second, open the Wall Specification dbx for this wall:

post-95-0-55801800-1458164848_thumb.png

and UNcheck Roof>Roof Options>Full Gable Wall. That will get you this:

post-95-0-19772300-1458164855_thumb.png

You need to clarify what you're trying to achieve with this chunk:

post-95-0-07780500-1458164976_thumb.png

and with the bay windows.

You need to clarify what you're trying to achieve with this chunk:

attachicon.gifroof5.PNG

and with the bay windows.

...and with everything else ;)

...and with everything else ;)

Well, yes. Obviously I made some assumptions in giving my previous solutions. I could have the intent completely wrong.

Well, yes. Obviously I made some assumptions in giving my previous solutions. I could have the intent completely wrong.

Yessiree.  No one can say you didn't at least try.  And who knows, you may be guessing correctly!

First, open the Wall Specification dbx for these three walls:

attachicon.gifroof1.PNG

and check Roof>Roof Options>High Shed/Gable Wall. That will get you this:

attachicon.gifroof2.PNG

Perfect, I learned something useful, thanks so much :)

Second, open the Wall Specification dbx for this wall:

attachicon.gifroof3.PNG

and UNcheck Roof>Roof Options>Full Gable Wall. That will get you this:

attachicon.gifroof4.PNG

Unfortunately that end of the house is an existing gable.

I'd like to put an addition on the rear, with a 9' clng height (exisitng is 8' plate height) and a california overly from the new to the existing.

Heres how it looks with the addition drawn with 8' plates (I just set it in the room structure, auto build did the roof.)

The Bay windows, I just plan to pull the overhangs out manually, then break and return the eaves? I don't know of a way to get them to work automatically? But the roof configuration at the bays is fine, just the overhang needs to extend.

And thanks all for your consideration and time.

post-372-0-48482400-1458166428_thumb.jpg

I'd turn off the roof in the addition, auto build the roof, then manually draw in the addition roof.

post-1284-0-68548300-1458168296_thumb.jpg

TY Eric, I am trying to get past having to do that. This is such a simple and common condition that I'm sure CA can do it and I really ought to know how :)

I'm not a roof guru, but I agree with Eric. Chief can't solve every roof configuration automatically. Turn off automatic rebuild, and it takes about one minute to fix the roof:

post-95-0-62919800-1458219612_thumb.png

TY Robert. It is indeed very easy to fix, but it does sort of put a damper on the design development process, having the building looking bizarre as you try various roof configurations elsewhere. It's nice to be able to do things in the order they occur.

I am still hoping this is so simple and straight forward a condition that it is easily solved by one of the gurus or by tech support.

Any input on how to automate the bay window roof generation to develop proper overhangs would be great also. I'm able to get the gable I want but cant control the overhangs.

post-372-0-80072700-1458235098_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-25277900-1458235105_thumb.jpg