Does X8 Support This?

DakotaContractor

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

Hi,

Watch Wendy's annotation set videos, as well as Scott Halls.  They will both help immensely, but pay attention to Wendy's explanation of what doesn't make sense about the pre-configured Annotation sets.  I think I stayed away from them for a year because the pre-configured annos didn't seem to work correctly.    

It would behoove Chief to have someone make a core set of annotations that were correctly configured.  At this time the core set is a inconsistant example of how they are supposed to help.  

Cheers.

Barry

Here's my personal view of annotation sets in a nutshell...

Once activated an anno set does a few things (some of which are optional depending on how you set them up)...

1. It decides which dimension styles you will be using along with the relevant settings (including which layers they will be placed on).
2. It decides which text styles you will be using (regular and rich) along with their relevant settings (including which layers they will be placed on)
3. It decides which CAD layer you will be drawing on.
4. It has similar settings for callouts, markers, and arrows.
5. It decides which layerset (if any) will be activated when switching to any given anno set.

In general an annotation set should be used for exactly what it's name implies. In order to make annotations.

The way I personally use anno sets is almost exclusively to direct the program to put the appropriate annotations onto the correct layers... something that can also be done simply by moving those items to their own layers...HOWEVER, once your annotation sets are set up, it is MUCH quicker to simply choose the appropriate anno set and just go to town.

It just takes a little while to go through and set them up is all.

I just wish there was a quicker way to select and copy any given anno set and then simply switch the appropriate layer sets.

This has actually been an option since as far back as I can remember.  Not new to X8... unless I'm misunderstanding what you're talking about perhaps.

Watch the video on X8 first please AS to see what I am talking about.

https://video.chiefarchitect.com/?playlist=118

The initial question was about what can be done in X8 with layers.

See this whole video, as it shows what to do with displaying layer sets in layout views using X8, and see if this helps?

I am sure your method is fine with past versions of CA, as we all have to find ways to get around our layer display problems. This shows it done with X8 and it might help the user.

AS, if you watch this you may discern what is new for us and explain it too.

My brain works more in visual format than in verbal description language, ha ha!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to add another method I just recently discovered for those who either...

A. haven't gotten around to learning how to use anno sets
B. know how to use anno sets but don't find it worth the hassle
C. use anno sets almost exclusively for the sole purpose of placing annotations on specific layers

I fall into those last 2 categories much of the time and until Chief makes an easier way to simply copy an anno set and change just the layer settings, I often find it quicker and easier to just "freestyle" it. Here's the method and I'm sure its probably what most of you did before anno sets came about (I started with X3 so I think I've always had them)...

- For CAD work, use the Current CAD Layer tool (CAD>Current CAD Layer) to switch layer sets. This will place all new CAD work on that layer.

- For dimensions, select your desired dimension tool (preferably after selecting an annotation set with the proper scale), double click on the dimension tool again, click on the layer tab and select the layer you want to place dimensions on.

- For text, rich text, callouts, etc. just repeat the steps above.

I just find that to be an easy and manageable on-the -fly way to control which layers your annotations are drawn on without having to screw around with setting up new anno sets. I suppose the same method could be used to modify text size, line style, and so forth too.  I just think its a lot easier to change settings for only the tool you'll be using rather than making changes to all tools to create a new and properly defined anno set.

NOTE: If you want to use anno sets in a traditional way in conjunction with this method, simply make some copies of the appropriate anno sets for use on the fly. Maybe name them "1/8" Freestyle", "1/4" Freestyle", "1/2" Freestyle", and "Plot Plan Freestyle".