Different wall heights on same level

Coin_Slot

Hello, I'm Jeremy and this is my first post.

I have used other cad programs in the past, and have recently switched to Chief Architect Premier x6. 

I am currently trying to model a 130 farm house in order to design an addition that looks as well as it functions.  The problem that i am currenty having is in reguards to wall heights.  The house is a story and a half, the parts of the house that have a story above have 9' ceilings, and in the back of the house is a previous addition from years ago that has 8' ceilings.  I understand the concept where the wall height is a direct dirivitive of the ceiling height.  The problem that is stumping me is that every time i change the ceiling height of one section, it affects the rest of the rooms on that same level.  I haven't had this problem in the past with other programs and i'm sure this is "duh" fix.  Thank you in advance for your help!

Jeremy:

I suggest you save and close your plan, make a zipped (compressed) copy and post it here.  However, before doing that, please take the text tool and type the ceiling height for each room in the plan.  That will be the critical information for you to get good help.  If you have any "open below" rooms for the upper level(s), please note those.  Same goes for any rooms that might have a vaulted ceiling - please provide that information as well.

You didn't get back with a response to say whether or not Mark's advice was helpful. 

Attached is "my revised" version of your plan.  This is my recommendation on how to do the roof ... in the bumped out area where the door is .... I just made a gable roof for that area.  There are other ways you could do it but .... that's your call.

Because your upstairs floor overhangs the room you are having trouble with, it is a bit messy to deal with in the structure tab.  To keep it simple, I opted to just put a soffit in the skinny room I created under the overhanging 2nd story to get the ceiling for that part where it should be. I may not have got the room elevation exactly where you want it and therefore the roof might be off a little in elevation, but you can fix that yourself with the transform/replicate edit tool by moving it in the 'z' direction as required.  There are probably other ways to skin this cat ... this is the method I chose. 

I had to add a couple of attic walls and close up some holes in the siding by editing the walls in the camera view ... there's still a little triangular hole on the door side above the roof that is showing that should be closed up.  The roof planes I put on manually as I didn't want to mess with your other ones, although I did give them boxed  eaves as shown.  You can change that if you don't need them.  Don't have any more time to try anything else. Hope this helps.

post-191-0-54819900-1398270904_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-86254400-1398270921_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-32950100-1398270949_thumb.jpg

6151 15th Road - render help.zip

Thankyou for all your help...I am new to the Premier series and it just took me a little trial to get the wall heights figured out.  I'm still use to having to imput wall height, where as i am now able to generate a wall height by locking certain roof values and adjusting others.  I was able to get the ceiling problem solved yesterday, and now that I have done it, my question feels rather novice.  But none the less I do greatly appreciate the time you took to help.