Dimensioning Plans

HERETOGO

While dimensioning a plan, I have noticed that while using auto exterior dimensioning, the first string of dimensions are the openings, second string is the interior partitions and jogs of the exterior walls and the final string is the total exterior length. What I am trying to get is the first string to only dimension to the centers of all the openings only and not break at the intersecting interior partitions, the continue to the next opening. Is there a way to set this up so the first dimension string dimensions to the openings only and stop at any exterior jogs?

Yes, I figured out that one out to get to the center of the openings, but what I am more interested in is when you dimension using auto exterior dimensioning, the first string is for the openings if I am correct, but if you happen to have a interior wall between those 2 openings, it will dimension from lets say, start of dimension, to center of opening, to center of next opening, then to side of interior partition to center of next opening. I want to get rid of the one where the dimension line is broke from the interior wall. Same with the interior dimensioning, if you are within you distance, it will pick up the center of all interior openings, but as soon as you get outside the distance, it will not pick up the interior openings, which gives you some dimension strings with the opening dimensioned and others not

Wish I knew how to attach thumbnail or file to better explain myself, but haven't got that far yet

You actually want that dim from an interior wall as an extra check for the framers. If the openings string goes from outside wall to outside wall, theres no real break for the framers to back check the opening. In other words if one of their openings is off somewhere, they have to backtrack all the way to the exterior wall to double check themselves, or do the math for themselves. Of course it's entirely possible that I am too picky, but I have been doing this way for since I started in the late 80's

post-70-0-03282600-1449408961_thumb.png