Layout Questions

Paramount

Mickey, I see. Dimension tool in camera section views needs some improvements it appears. Other programs I run are not this difficult. I at least learned how to reduce those big cross hair markers in that thread but, labor intensive using point-to-point. I'm trying to dimension details so I can show code officials, suppliers, etc, what I'm considering so it should be easy to produce prelim layouts using end-to-end basic dimensions w/o adding lines or markers. Point to point dimension I only use if I absolutely have to since it takes too much time to zero a point in on a line, etc...  

I just did a cad detail and used lines to make a quick drawing. If I delete a line that I created from the end of another line it deletes both lines. It appears there are links (constraints) being generated by CA I'd like to turn off since when it happens I have to recreate all the lines that were linked. There should be a way to control links, turn them on or off. If I want to constrain a line to another or not I should have control over. Same with dimensions. 

The control you are looking for in order to be able to edit individual line segments is found in the Edit Object Parts tool. You can access it at Edit - Edit Behaviors - Edit Object Parts (Shift - F8), or from the tool bar button.

Thanks much, that helps. Once the part(s) are edited how do you combine or constrain them again into a closed CAD polyline I think it is called? 

Thanks much, that helps. Once the part(s) are edited how do you combine or constrain them again into a closed CAD polyline I think it is called? 

Switch back to Edit>Edit Behavior>Default, then grab the end point of one of the lines and snap it to the end point of the other - the will "heal" and join back together.

Follow Robert's suggestion.

And if you are trying to rejoin line segments to form a closed polyline, there may be times when you get the polyline, that is, all the line segments are joined, but it will not close (as in the attached pic). In that case use the Close Polyline tool.

post-571-0-88892900-1446829269_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I been searching high and wide. Can someone please tell me how to rotate a dimension label (value only) so they can be read without people I send this to having to rotate the sheet. The handles rotate the entire dimension and the ref manual does not tell me I could find anyhoo. 

My first truss framing plan. I like CA when it works and I know what I'm doing ;)

In the pic below I want the vertical dimension to show horizontal values? Like the horizontal ones. 

post-5962-0-97505200-1448140225_thumb.jpg

I been searching high and wide. Can someone please tell me how to rotate a dimension label (value only) so they can be read without people I send this to having to rotate the sheet. The handles rotate the entire dimension and the ref manual does not tell me I could find anyhoo. 

My first truss framing plan. I like CA when it works and I know what I'm doing ;)

In the pic below I want the vertical dimension to show horizontal values? Like the horizontal ones. 

attachicon.gifDimension Labels.JPG

Unfortunately, I don't believe that its currently possible (aside from a workaround).  Maybe add your vote of approval to this suggestion...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/6426-rotate-dimension-text/?hl=%2Brotate+%2Bdimensions#entry58335

Thanks Micheal. My my the simplest things so difficult in CA. I see CA has tried to reinvent the wheel taking standards such as ASME and ANSI Y-14.5 and did it differently than most software and lost sight of what is needed. It is so easy to dimension and text in others but CA needs pages( a book in itself defaults and more and more DBXs) in ref manual to make simple task so difficult and overkill! Been driving me nuts, especially between plan and layout views. I'll add some comments to that thread. 

I been down this road before is there a way to no-show the value and put text in it's place?

Thanks Micheal. My my the simplest things so difficult in CA. I see CA has tried to reinvent the wheel taking standards such as ASME and ANSI Y-14.5 and did it differently than most software and lost sight of what is needed. It is so easy to dimension and text in others but CA needs pages( a book in itself defaults and more and more DBXs) in ref manual to make simple task so difficult and overkill! Been driving me nuts, especially between plan and layout views. I'll add some comments to that thread. 

I been down this road before is there a way to no-show the value and put text in it's place?

Just overlay a text box on top of the dimension...coupled with possibly making the dimensions text height super small so you never see it.