import from Revit?

Lighthouse

I'm designing an addition to a house that was previously owned by an Architect who has a complete 3D Revit model.  Is there some way to import this into CA?  I know I can deal with it as a 2d by importing dwg's in plan and elevation, but is there any way to capture any of the 3D data?  I'm using X5.   What is best practice?  Thanks!

I think the only way is to have them export the entire model as a "family" (Chief's version of a "symbol") and then import that into Chief.  It wouldn't be all that useful though.  It would be much like a giant symbol in Chief, you could explore it, but it wouldn't be very intuitive to work with.

It would also have to be exported from Revit in a 3D file type that Chief can import.  Otherwise, it would have to be run through a file convertor or possibly through Sketchup.

I think a more useful approach would be to export each floor as a dwg file that you could then import into Chief, set on layers to "lock" and then trace over using Chief native tools. (A large symbol could not easily be edited at all in Chief and so would be mainly a waste of time), I am assuming you also want to remodel or edit the home.

DJP