Ray Trace With New Options

Dennis_Gavin

WE now can set dpi as well as the lxw in pixels or inches in ray trace. I am thinking that combining lxw in inches and dpi go together but it seems that lxw in pixels and dpi are sort of duplicating. WE used to use our screen size multiplied by desired dpi to set lxw in pixels to get day 300 dpi output.

IF I increase the lxw in pixels AND increase to 300 dpi am I not really getting much higher dpi? Maybe way too big. Just looking for input on best practices when using these settings.

I'd like to hear an explanation from CA as to why they are using the term DPI. shouldn't it be PPI, pixels per inch?

DPI, dots per inch, is only used when referring to printers and print media.

PPI is used to determine an image's resolution.

DPI is used for media output regardless of platform.  PPI is specific to pixel based display systems. 

Generally, CA output is meant for print.  The enduser should understand the specifications required for image use, or at least what their print shop tells them what is needed for various jobs.

High density DPI, say 1200, is common where the viewer will see the image close in.  Lower density, 150 DPI, is used for output that will be viewed from a distance greater than 6'.  72 DPI is used where the enduser doesn't have a clue, or where the output is designed for TV/Video.  Most print shops will upscale low res images to 300 DPI unless directed otherwise.

If printing to greyscale, then halftone dots are applied either at designtime (automagically) or when the print shop prepares the job.  Anywho... Talk to the people who print your stuff and ask what output best suits their needs for a particular job type.

Dennis, the closer you get to actual size in what you call lxw, the closer your printed output will match what you see on the screen.  So, if you give a print shop a 3x5" image at 300 DPI and your output is expected at 7x12, the printer will upscale to the correct size @300 DPI, but you will lose detail in the process.

jon