Ca Is Showing Mistakes That The Architect Didn't See In Revit

Electromen

Many years ago, I arrived for a site inspection at a hospital project.  I noticed that the masons were up to 3' high on a wall that had windows starting at 2'4" and I stopped them.  I then told the masonry sub that there were 3 supposed to be 3 windows in that particular wall.  He said "No, there are only 2" which of course I disagreed with since it was my design.  The sub insisted on a 100 bet and I told him I didn't want to take his money to which he responded:

" I bet with my workers all the time and I never lose."  That was not the right thing to tell me and I took his bet.  Then we proceeded to look at the plans and all he could do was open his wallet and hand me 5 $20 bills and say "Well, I learned a lesson not to bet with the Architect - but it was cheap.  If he hadn't stopped my guys when he did it would have cost a lot more to take the wall down and rebuild it."

Now to answer how I would have handled the original question:

I would have contacted the Architect and asked him if he intended that the ceiling in that room be sloped?  I would have done that immediately but I would not have told him I had discovered a mistake that he hadn't.  This is a diplomatic way of pointing it out without saying it was a mistake.  That would have given him the opportunity to deal with it without losing face.

Many years ago, I arrived for a site inspection at a hospital project.  I noticed that the masons were up to 3' high on a wall that had windows starting at 2'4" and I stopped them.  I then told the masonry sub that there were supposed to be 3 windows in that particular wall.  He said "No, there are only 2" which of course I disagreed with since it was my design.  The sub insisted on a $100 bet and I told him I didn't want to take his money to which he responded:

" I bet with my workers all the time and I never lose."  That was not the right thing to tell me and I took his bet.  Then we proceeded to look at the plans and all he could do was open his wallet and hand me 5 $20 bills and say "Well, I learned a lesson not to bet with the Architect - but it was cheap.  If he hadn't stopped my guys when he did it would have cost a lot more to take the wall down and rebuild it."

Now to answer how I would have handled the Greg's original question.

I would have contacted the Architect and asked him if he intended that the ceiling in that room be sloped?  I would have done that immediately but I would not have told him I had discovered a mistake that he hadn't.  This is a diplomatic way of pointing it out without saying it was a mistake.  That would have given him the opportunity to deal with it without losing face.

Joe, I agree! That is why I said "diplomatically".  Way back when I was a young and ambitious superintendent I pointed out an obvious mistake to a licensed architect on the project I was building.  Even though it wasn't to show him up he took it as a very personal insult and his job (after billable hours of course) was to make my life miserable.  After that I always passed the buck for other people (project managers etc.) to be the bearer of bad news.  I guess you just have to know when you're dealing with a person who has never made a mistake and act accordingly...  Hopefully they'll appreciate your effort to help them fix something before it is built.

Before CA cut out for doors in the foundation I used (and still do - over the plan generated cutout) a hatch pattern for the apron drop.  Once I moved the garage door from front loading to side loading and forgot to move the hatch pattern.  The lumber salesman let me know and I was incredibly grateful I was able to catch the foundation guy before it was poured.