Help Finishing Up Rehab/addition Plans And Learning

rhodysrodi

I am new to CA X7, having great difficulty with Gambrel roof, I am keeping the existing roof and adding a hip roof over addition, attaching the back side of the hip to a new dormer from the attic space,  have a few road blocks to completing to say the least. Have photo's of existing roof and am uploading plan files. Need someones help learning and finishing this project fast. Holt Home is the working drawing, shows addition. 

Thank you

holt home.zip

existingplans.zip

post-5892-0-74793100-1431016951_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum and Chief Architect! Rome was not built in a day or even several weeks, and your project is a complicated one indeed, especially for a new user. There is a detailed tutorial for each roof type found under "Roof Styles" as a tab of the "Build Roof" dialog (a great place to start).

Part of my business is helping Chief Architect and Home Designer software users, if you would like some one on one help, I can deliver that service to you.

DJP

I looked at both of your files, and had difficulty figuring out how the house in the photo you posted is orientated to either of the plan files you shared. Like I said before, the place to start is learning how to set up (program) the Wall Dialog box - Roof Tab settings for a Gambrel Roof. Get that done and then add the dormers, either using the "Dormer Tool" or setting up for the dormers manually. It is relatively easy once you know how, it is the learning how that is often difficult but NOT impossible.

DJP

Hi RR , and welcome to CT

I personally think you are looking at this Wrong ...the Roof   is not a Gambrel  in the true sense,  it is a Skirt Roof made to look like a Gambrel so draw it up the same way, ie you basically have a two storey house with a 10/12 roof and some skirt  roofs at say 21/12,meeting at the Ridge, which makes the two storey house look like it has Dormers but doesn't , something like in my quick pic/plan below.

MRP = Manual Roof Plane

If you need more help with it feel free to PM me.  

PS one tip ...I would suggest always finishing the structure ,exterior walls only ,roof, foundation etc before adding all the interior details.

Mick.

post-315-0-72331000-1431025863_thumb.jpg