Terrain / Gps Import

Lakeview

I am designing a house on a rectangular lot with a gentle slope from one corner to another.   I read that I can import GPS data into my plan to build the terrain.

Can someone point me toward some basic instructions on how to do this?    Can someone recommend an android app that I can use to capture the elevation data?

I thought I had read at one point that I could get an app that I could turn on and walk the perimeter of the lot to capture elevation data.    But, now, I am having trouble locating the right app.

Any tips would be much appreciated. 

Sketchup, you can capture the region and get your elevation data, you can also get your contour lines spaced at what ever intervals you prefer and import that to CA. Scott posted a youtube video, where Justin explaining how to achieve that using Sketchup. 

You can also get  quiet a few videos on that on youtube.

Thanks, Jon.    That 'almost' worked.   I was able to use that app to get some elevation data.   But, when I tried to import the GPX file into CA, it failed.   No message that explained why.  

I then took the elevation data from the app and manually entered the points into my plan.   That seems to be working OK.   I may need to go out and take some more points to get a more accurate view of the terrain. 

Manually enterning points to plan seems to me a tedeous job, not sure but most likely your application can let you get your data in .xls format. if that can happen, it is easy to copy selecting the columns containing the #,x,y,z, description, then copy paste it in notepad and then simply import the text doc by choosing the tab dillimated option in the import terrain data wizard.

That is what I always do by exporting data from "global mapper" to vector format and easily create my terrain in chief by importing the terrain of a very large area for some works.