"reworking" Custom Window Symbols

Larry_Sweeney

I've done a lot of restoration projects over the years and have made many custom window symbols because CA's windows are so "lacking" in there look and how a real window is put together-------especially historical type units.  I find from time to time all I need to do is "tweak" one of the units I've already made and it would work. Things such as jamb width or casing changes. Up to now I just make a whole new symbol. Is there anyway in CA to take a window symbol and "open/explode" it so one can make these minor changes without building a whole new symbol? Maybe I'm going about the actual window symbol building process all wrong to start with. Does anyone else build custom window symbols? What is your process? Many times I don't put trim on the inside until the window symbol is installed in the wall. One problem I found with custom window symbols is the the "hole" for the window is as large as the exterior trim. This can be a real problem if the interior casing is not the same width. I usually end up making a "pass through" hole in the wall the size I want and add the custom window as a "fixture" to get the look I'm after (yes a real PITA). This whole process could be avoidable if CA would give us the ability to design a more correct looking window to start with. To me the two biggest problems with CA's windows it the exterior sill (placement elevation, style and slope. Sills aren't attached to the frame, they are part of the frame) and the interior stool (elevation and stool should go to sash and not the window frame) Of couse this has been discussed since at least V10 (when I came on board in 2006) and probably before. Here we are 9 years later still dealing with the same problem. I think anything brought up about windows (or stairs) in "Suggestions" is sent to the bottom of the list pile. Okay-----so much for my ranting-----just my day.  If anyone has suggestions for my window symbols is will be much appreciated. Have a great day.

I used to make window symbols that were project specific much like you do.  But I don't make them much anymore, as they are very limiting and time consuming, as you noted.

I generally save the plan file that I use to develop the window (or any symbol for that matter) so I can go back and make changes. Sketchup is also good for making symbols because of the ability to group thing.

In recent years I've largely lived with the limitation of Chief's windows, but have found creative ways to dress them up using attachments as the basis.  For example, I'll create my surround or jamb extensions as a "blind", or apply an unusual casing as a "curtain". I also apply rosettes as a "curtain"

There are also ways to alter sill placement, for accurate trim height, but it tends to make for an inaccurate look in 3D.

And of course there are similar problems with doors,  I've just learned to live with them.

Larry,

I would not make "Custom Window Symbols" for what you are using them for.  I would start with a Standard Window and work with Casings, Sills, Aprons, Lintels (using Custom Molding Profiles) to get the exact Window configuration.  Then I would add that window to my Library.

Then when you get that window from the Library it brings along all the detail.

Chief's "Custom Window Symbols" were really designed to be "Projection Windows" ie: Applied to the exterior.  They still have several problems in how they work and I've reported those - maybe we'll get them fixed in X8.

Bill.....Using the "curtain" is defintely outside the box thinking. That was discussed not to long ago in a thread. I try to use CA's windows as much as possible and then add a "correct" sill symbol at the right height and attachment to frame and a custom stool symbol to the inside in the correct placement. Correct stool placement, I think, is quite critical when when doing special cabinetry and wall panels, which I get into all the time. I just wish CA would work on these two items. If they fixed the windows and stairs-----------I wouldn't have anything to rant about!  :)