Sliding glass panels for gun rack

Mikeinkc

I have a customer that we are preparing to build cabinets for and one of the spaces is a very large gun safe under his suspended garage. We are building floor to ceiling cabinets and the upper cabinets are going to be rifle / shotgun vertical storage like in a gun shop. Originally we designed it with hinged shaker doors with glass panels. He would like to utelize frameless glass panels that will slide on a track so that there is a complete view of his collection. (Not broken up with multiple stiles) I've already checked with a glass shop based on size of panels etc and we're going to do 1/4" tempered glass panels that are approximatley 24" wide and 42" tall. I'm just trying to figure out how to draw it so that I can show it to my customer. Any help is appreciated. I'm running X15 btw. 

42 minutes ago, Mikeinkc said:

I'm just trying to figure out how to draw it so that I can show it to my customer.

Made this up. I used a textured glass so it shows. Adjust as needed. This has both doors as a single symbol.

image.thumb.png.eb8d9339699a05ae376c51d1404d5098.png

If you want handles of some sort add them to the symbol. 

The rest gets complicated, more advanced than I did here if you want to change more. What follows involves altering origins, advanced sizing stretch planes and/or bounding boxes. Some is already done on the included door symbol. Open that to get an idea- then go read up on symbols.

Doors can be made as two different ones that overlap on top of each other. Then you can add hardware to the cabinet BUT you will need two different hardware symbols to sit properly. 

If you want to show them open then you have to make a symbol for that which is offset and has the width locked.

If the cabinet construction is other than shown then  more changes. 

If need bigger can be done but figure out how it's built first !!

image.thumb.png.cb9141cffc2aefeb9271478fa31af621.png

A cabinet can't be done that actually works in Chief. I don't think it worth using funny walls and sliding doors as started below but YMMV ;->

image.thumb.png.3db8d8d800fe91234d10cae0c86bf710.png

Glass slider cab.zip

Unfortunately, you can't tell a cabinet that it has sliding doors.  You can fake it though. 

In the picture below, I used "slab" inset doors and set the material to glass.  I also adjusted the handle positions so they were on the outside instead of the inside.  The only obvious thing that is wrong is that they are not offset so that they would bypass each other.  If you really needed to show this, you might be able to do it with custom door symbol that has both pieces offset from each other. 

The other thing I did was I adjusted the shelves to look a bit more like a gun rack.  If you wanted to get fancy, you might even be able to create a custom shelf symbol to make it look more realistic.

image.thumb.png.f1f0cc5a39640e6203ac0328422235bf.png