Error Messages When Opening and Closing X15 Using Windows 10

DHerb2014

Hoping someone has encountered this before. I was having numerous error messages when opening X15 and saving files. I called Tech Support and they didn't provide a solution, other than telling me to NOT use cloud services such as Dropbox for "live" files. It had been working perfectly until two weeks ago, when the error messages started populating.

I uninstalled X15, after making copies of Library files, etc. I noticed that after uninstalling, X15 data folders/files were still on the Windows 10 tree. I deleted them manually as well, thinking a fresh install would place them back in order. I downloaded a fresh copy of X15 from SSA and reinstalled. Now I'm getting four error messages when opening the program (please see four attached).

When opening X15 now, not only do I get the four error messages, I don't have any toolbars.

I get seven error messages when closing the program, but want to solve the startup issues first. It's too late to call Tech Support and am hoping someone has a solution.

Opening Error 1.jpg

Opening Error 2.jpg

Opening Error 3.jpg

Opening Error 4.jpg

I don't think an uninstall/reinstall will fix any preferences.  You might need to use the reset preferences tool.  

You might also need to rename your X5 data folder since I don't think that gets reset when you uninstall/reinstall.  Renaming it is better than deleting it just in case there is something important you need like a custom template or toolbars.  When you first run the program afterwards, it should make a new data folder and copy the original ones that were installed.  Once you are up and running you should be able to manually copy anything you need from the renamed folder into the new folder.

If doing both of those does not solve the problems, then I guess you will need to call tech support in the morning.

• Upvote 1

SOLVED!

I tried everything with Chief, then decided to try Restoring Windows to an earlier version. Thank goodness I had a restore point from two weeks ago. I restored back to this, and reinstalled a fresh copy of X15, copied over my Templates and User Libraries, and it's living/working perfect again under Dropbox.

Can't wait until the Mac Studio comes out with the M4 Ultra chip, as I'm ready to dump Windows completely. Been using it since its MS DOS days (1989). :)

51 minutes ago, DHerb2014 said:

SOLVED!

I tried everything with Chief, then decided to try Restoring Windows to an earlier version. Thank goodness I had a restore point from two weeks ago. I restored back to this, and reinstalled a fresh copy of X15, copied over my Templates and User Libraries, and it's living/working perfect again under Dropbox.

Can't wait until the Mac Studio comes out with the M4 Ultra chip, as I'm ready to dump Windows completely. Been using it since its MS DOS days (1989). :)

I would not switch to mac personally but also I really do think you need some training on how cloud base systems work with Chief. Many of these issues are solved with a restructuring of your data folders and best practices. These errors are coming up because of how you are storing your data files/project files. You will run into the same issues on a mac trying to do the same thing with dropbox or icloud
(M4 ultra is like 20% faster than the m3 and so is still gonna be super slow when compared to my 4090 or 7900xtx)

Many thanks for chiming in Rene. Yes, I would like to know what I'm doing incorrectly with Chief and Dropbox. I don't want this to be a recurring theme. Are there links or recommendations for making this a standard protocol?

As far as the Mac, I don't do photo-realistic renders, and if I need to get close, I use Twinmotion. I'm using Logic X for recording music and like the Unix based platform vs. the clunky Windows code. No platform is perfect, but the Mac to me is where I'm heading at some point in the future. AutoCAD will run under Parallels or Bootcamp when needed.

12 minutes ago, DHerb2014 said:

Twinmotion

another reason for not getting the mac, just giving you an FYI, I dont believe path tracer works on the mac 2024
regarding your cloud stuff, yes, typically dont want to keep the core data files on a cloud based system. You can, but you would need to know proper procedures for this. I personally do not keep my data files on cloud, and instead I back them up periodically.
My project files I do keep on the cloud

Rene,

What do you mean by not keeping your data files in the Cloud? Do you mean the actual X15 program itself? Not clear on data files vs. project files? 

We keep the project files in Dropbox and work off of them in Dropbox as  "live" files that are saved directly into Dropbox and not kept in our PC's. Only one person at a time can access the project file itself.