Dormers are my nemesis

GeneDavis

On 8/12/2024 at 9:10 AM, GeneDavis said:

No Chief access right now, but any fix has to leave the INSIDE of the room same as before any roof/wall edits.

Hi Gene , sorry busy week , I just had a quick look and fixed things up, but it's not Automatic for sure in this case, I haven't looked at Steve's plan, I just wanted to have a look at this myself but unfortunately I don't really have any Insights for you, it was just 20-30 mins trying stuff until one fix didn't ruin another.

Mick.

image.thumb.png.268c70f3824172b4c8172cdc489b7e95.png  image.thumb.png.20bcc6ceb157e040717b4d0751cb2ce8.png

Latest X16 Version PLAN  :   Glenrock_MHD_Fix.zip

@Kbird1Thanks, Mick.  It's a tricky one to get right, and it shows a little flaw in Chief that will likely never get fixed.

The flaw (is it a bug?) is what you and I ran up against when doing the cheek wall that sits atop the 2x4 interior wall below, on plan left.  The one on plan right is built atop the roof and you built it as siding-6, has no lower pony section, is spec'd roof-cuts-wall-at-bottom, and builds OK.  Your version models cleanly when the pony wall side, plan L, is 2x4 wall upper and lower, but when one tries doing the upper as siding-6, it won't model clean no matter what you do.

While you get a clean model this way, looking as expected inside, and clean outside in that the siding wraps and renders with no flaws, the model from outside is assymetrical.

I drew this in Chief whatever version, back in 2010, when the house got built.  I did most all the tricky carpentry during construction, and remember cutting the roof for the framing gang.  When doing the model back then, I ran into the same problem as I have today in trying to recreate the job.  A new client wants to build a copy of the plan and I did not save the one from way back.  See the image from the .pdf con docs used in 2010, attached.  We built the walls both sides with 2x4 framing, and padded out the above-roof cheeks with 2" of rigid foam faced with 7/16" OSB.  The print says 1x strapping but I know we just used OSB.

The image I crayon-marked is from your model, and I am showing how the wall at plan L is 2x4 and on R is 2x6.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 081926.png

Screenshot 2024-08-15 082834.png

3 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

The flaw (is it a bug?) is what you and I ran up against when doing the cheek wall

I'd say copy your post into a TS case with these example plans and let them look at it , as Dormers can be a lot of work and really shouldn't be.

* you are right I didn't catch Chief Autowalled the upper LH side with a 2x4 Attic Wall previous plan has it as 2x6 I believe.

M.