Trouble dimensioning to countertop edge

Go to solution Solved by scottharris,

In Kitchen & Bath Plan View using Point To Point for measuring and dimensioning I can't get cursor to locate countertop edge, it always goes right to the cabinet face edge instead.  I tried checking boxes under Default Settings / Dimensions / Dimensions / Kitchen & Bath Dimension Defaults / Edit /and then for all of these:

• Locate Manual

• Locate End to End

• Locate Interior

• Locate Auto Room / Inner Dimension

finding Locate Countertop checkbox under all of these and checking the box.  None of these are helping.  Help appreciated, thanks, David

The check box is correct, tool selection P to P not ideal...

For each of these you should not only be using the dimension default but have selected that dimension type. IOW not using point to point

Manual Dimensions- click inside cabinet, hold button and drag to other cabinet (dim on left)

End To End Dimension- do not click in the cabinet, click just in front of the first countertop you want to dimension to, hold button and drag. Snaps are set to 12 pixel radius in preferences OOB.

image.thumb.png.7228a0844dfdc7ed7665d923f1b140a6.png

You can use point to point- I rarely use that, but NEVER just to dimension to a counter.  It can work, clicking just in front of counter, hold button down, drag to other counter NOT to other cabinet. Again just in front of the countertop.

This was on a PC but doubt this would be different on Mac

• Solution

If you find yourself dimensioning to countertops often, you can 1) change your dimension default to only pickup countertops or preferably, 2) create a specific dimension default for that purpose (and save that in your template plan).  

In the attached image, you can see that the end-to-end dimension is set to only pickup countertops when used.

Dimension_Defaults_-_Countertops_and_Plan_View_Specification_for__Kitchen___Bath__and_Chief_Architect_Premier_X16.jpg