CPU Ray Trace for Interior Renderings

StephenM

I'm looking for some recommendations as to what my CPU Ray Trace settings should be when do interior renderings to get the best quality, as my computer doesn't support GPU Ray Trace. Everything I've tried ends up coming out too dark or too bright.

I also notice that the top of my cabinets project some light, could this be the cabinet material reflecting the light sources?

I've attached photos of both my current settings and the cabinet issue.

TIA for suggestions and recommendations.

Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 12.20.08 PM.png

Untitled 1.jpg

To avoid the glow at the top of your room, be sure that you have a roof over the space.

For the best quality interior rendering, make us e of as much sunlight as possible (through a window) and also from light sources other than ambient light which can make the scene look flat. Proper configuration of your material properties also plays a big part in creating a quality rendering.It would be best if you post your plan so I can see what type of lighting you're using and how it is set.

51 minutes ago, ericepv said:

To avoid the glow at the top of your room, be sure that you have a roof over the space.

For the best quality interior rendering, make us e of as much sunlight as possible (through a window) and also from light sources other than ambient light which can make the scene look flat. Proper configuration of your material properties also plays a big part in creating a quality rendering.It would be best if you post your plan so I can see what type of lighting you're using and how it is set.

Here is the file. Thanks for the help Eric!

108 Chaparral Common SE Floor Plans (Kitchen Layout A).plan.zip

4 hours ago, StephenM said:

Stephen:

There's no magic set of specs that work with every scene, it takes a lot of trial & error to get the right result. It's been awhile since I've done a CPU RT (almost all PBR now) but these are a few basic rules that I start with:

• Create a Terrain Perimeter
  • Drop the lumens on your can lighting, use added light as a fill for general lighting
  • Change the 3 kitchen pendants to spots -90 tilt, -24 Z offset. This will eliminate the bright light-wash on the ceiling. Do the same for the dining rm.
  • Add some under cabinet lighting (rope lights work great)
  • Adjust the sun so that the light washes the room

You'll have to do some experimenting to see what works best. I've found that the most important elements in creating a great rendering are lighting & materials. I don't know what your level of experience is in this area but here are some great videos from the Knowledge Base (maybe you've already seen them) https://www.chiefarchitect.com/search/?default_tab=video&q=ray+trace

You could save yourself a lot of time and hassle by investing in a new video card that will support RTRT.(if your system will support it).

Eric

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

if you are up to date on renewal then it should be in your locker in public beta form

Interesting mine only shows X15 as the newest.