Please Help Cabinet Door Inset

3dsDan

Can someone please help me?  I was following the instructions on how to create a murphy bed, and my bed shows up correctly in the dialog but when I do a 3d Preview is showing up very short and not like in the dialogue picture.  Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong? see the pics attached and the plan.  Chief Architect x15

Screenshot 2024-04-28 005603.jpg

Murphy Bed Issue.plan

7 hours ago, 3dsDan said:

Can someone please help me? 

I can't say why you are getting the results we see without having the symbol to look at. The DBX you posted will do nothing for it. I have a hunch it has to do with stretch planes/zones and/or origin. Partly because you have the cabinet depth set to less than the original symbol.

Attached back is your plan with some options and symbols. Open the symbols and check ALL the tabs.

Using a mattress with pillows creates depth problems if you are trying to size the cabinet to RL

I've also included a plan that is how I would do this. I prefer using a cabinet door symbol. This allows more control over sizing. The down side to this method is you have to make a new symbol if you want to change the door style. Since I've had so few calls for these over the years (last one was a decade ago) I don't mind that. Just save the plan so you can simply change the door style, select it and the mattress and make new symbol. Copy settings from one that works.

Using a mattress that has NO pillows also helps with sizing. You won't have pillows sticking out the back. This allows you to set the depth of the mattress and cabinet so they both match. My preference would be to float pillows set on a different layer. Only show when open and don't show when closed. If you only need to show open the include them as a seperate fixture attached to the back of the door so you don't run into size issues.

Couple of other things.

• I only use base cabinets when I want a counter or a top of a different material than the cabinet. For this I would use a tall cabinet.
  • I NEVER use frameless cabinets in Chief. Over the years I have sold very few frameless cabinetst that were not inset, 85% of have been frameless and I have always used framed in Chief. Framed cabinets with a 3/4" separation gives much more control. It also eliminates using blank space instead of separations- they are NOT the same thing and blank have some issues at times.
  • When making symbols always check ALL the tabs of the original symbols, especially the stretch planes and origins.

Original.zip Plain Mattress as Door.zip