Roof Help - Nested Gable

Vine5563

I am trying to draw a nested gable and when I use the Gable/roof line tool to add the wider gable it merges the gables and makes one big gable. What am I doing wrong here?

Also trying to get the side of the house gable to match the drawn plans. One screenshot is with the wall in gable mode and the other in hip mode. How would I get this to match the already-drawn plans?

Trying to avoid manual roof planes as I am new and it gets out of hand fast in manual.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 9.01.32 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 9.02.43 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 9.02.13 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 9.02.02 AM.png

The drawn plans.  Did you do whatever needed to be able to trace the walls into your Chief X15 plan?  I'm just presuming X15.  If you are using Home Designer, go to their forum.

If Chief Premiere, go to your account settings and open the Signature page and compose a sig sort of like mine, that tells us what Chief package you run, what you run it on, and maybe whatever other software you use for architecture and 3D work.

With all walls in place and room definitions all set for room height, and roof settings done in Defaults the way you want them, then roof directives set for all exterior walls, your auto roof should do most everything except the way the large front gable, in which is nested the entry porch gable, is modeled.  That will be a quick manual edit.

Post the plan by first copying with plan name POST TO CHIEFTALK, stripping the new file of all interior goodies like cabinets, furniture, fixtures, etc.  You want structure only.  Then close it, zip it, and post it here.  One of the roof pros might even show you the way with a video. 

6 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

The drawn plans.  Did you do whatever needed to be able to trace the walls into your Chief X15 plan?  I'm just presuming X15.  If you are using Home Designer, go to their forum.

If Chief Premiere, go to your account settings and open the Signature page and compose a sig sort of like mine, that tells us what Chief package you run, what you run it on, and maybe whatever other software you use for architecture and 3D work.

With all walls in place and room definitions all set for room height, and roof settings done in Defaults the way you want them, then roof directives set for all exterior walls, your auto roof should do most everything except the way the large front gable, in which is nested the entry porch gable, is modeled.  That will be a quick manual edit.

Post the plan by first copying with plan name POST TO CHIEFTALK, stripping the new file of all interior goodies like cabinets, furniture, fixtures, etc.  You want structure only.  Then close it, zip it, and post it here.  One of the roof pros might even show you the way with a video. 

Thanks Gene. I am on X15. Attached is the plan. If a roof pro could video how to do it that would be super helpful!

POST TO CHIEF TALK.plan.zip

6 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Thanks Gene. I am on X15. Attached is the plan. If a roof pro could video how to do it that would be super helpful!

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 6.45.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 6.45.29 PM.png

Nested gable was the topic, so I sketched a simple plan with the recessed entry, the main roof full gable each end, edited the front wall with a break same distance away from R porch railing wall as building depth, did the inviz wall across the recess, made the appropriate roof directives for full gable on the endwalls and the fronts, then autoroofed.  See the pics.

Your 3rd bay garage bump likely needs a 3-pitch roof or thereabouts.  You can use those images you have of the target plan, bringing them into Chief as images or .pdfs or whatever you have, and use CAD to measure all the pitches.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 160742.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 160945.png