Is it possible to illustrate layers on a 3D rendering?

DIYJon

For visualization / modeling / explaining or asking questions about construction, I find it easier to offer a visual representation of what I'm doing.  Right now I'm trying to learn how to physically connect a small sloped roof on a new shed (lean-to) to an already existing and finished stucco wall on a framed structure.

To do so, I'd like to present an image showing the underlying layers of the proposed solution much like the image attached, where it's a sort of cut-away showing each material layer.

Is this possible with CA?  If not, what software are these guys using to create these images?

layers.jpg

20 hours ago, DIYJon said:

Is this possible with CA?  If not, what software are these guys using to create these images?

I achieved a similar crude example for a wall using the wall material region tool - cut to the parent layer. Just made a few different regions adding one more material layer for each region. I never tried doing it for the roof before. It would be a great idea for the "suggestions" though.

1995073717_Materiallayers.thumb.png.c596532f8b7de94e6779687553907e08.png

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

I use Chief Architect. Almost all my details are 3d. 

parapet4.thumb.jpg.3d64194fdf679a54277ab60d189fe9e3.jpgparapet5.thumb.jpg.4018f1db3686c78bbcfb66f41fa0adc3.jpg

These are great, are they stand alone mock-ups only or have you got a system to make them active on the house plan cameras?

I've got 3D solids saved in the library along with some materials to paste on for mockups but I haven't figured out how to peel back wall layers on an individual basis when it is an active type situation, other than use a wall material region or use the delete surface tool.

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Not crude at all! Your Typar texture and Delta MS textures are better than mine!

Thanks, both of those were made from pics off the good old internet and use of CA's help files / videos to make a material and size it. CA is pretty good as I have really no idea how use all the mapping and bumping features whatsoever, and this iMac keeps me out of all the fancy rendering.