Is it possible to cut a hole in an imported OBJ file, such as a custom counter-top?

DIYJon

I modeled my kitchen island formica counter-top in Fusion360, exported it to *.OBJ format, and imported it into Chief Architect.  I set it to "Sits on Base Cabinet or Table" in the item's options.

It sits just fine on top of the base cabinets I've placed, but I'm unable to add a sink to it, I presume, because it's a solid object.  Is there a way to cut a hole in it using Chief Architect, or do I need to model it with the hole for the sink?  And, if I do need to model it with the hole, when I try to add a sink to it, will the sink snap to the right spot above the 36" base cabinet? 

On another note, the base cabinet in this image was also modeled outside of Chief Architect and brought in as an OBJ.  

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 3.42.30 PM.png

You can't cut a hole in an imported symbol.  Why not just model that counter top in Chief instead?

Was there a reason to model the cabinet outside of Chief and bring it in as symbol?  From the picture, it doesn't look like something that Chief can't handle.

Time to learn.  It's super easy to create a custom counter of any shape you want and then you can apply a molding to get an edge profile.  And then, the sink will cut a hole automatically*.

Here is a tech article that might help:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01023/editing-a-countertop-into-a-custom-shape.html

*I noticed it wasn't as automatic as it should be because I had to use rebuild 3d to get the hole to show up.

custom counter with sink.jpg

1 hour ago, DIYJon said:

So easy.  But, I'm stuck on one thing.  Is there a way to slice the bullnose molding to match the arc of the ends of the countertop?

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 7.52.58 PM.png

yes, do an inverted return, inverted from the radius edge, then choose no molding on selected edge for that inverted leg of the molding line

Also, you will notice how your arc is not very smooth.  You can select the arc edge, open the counter dialog, and on the arc page you can turn off the automatic facet angle and set it to something smaller than 7.5, maybe like 1 or 2.

33 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

yes, do an inverted return, inverted from the radius edge, then choose no molding on selected edge for that inverted leg of the molding line

I'm lost.  I got the facet angle adjusted for the edges with the molding, but I'm not sure what an inverted return is, nor how to do what you mentioned.  

I'll have to defer to @Renerabbitt on that one because I don't know either.  BTW, I think "tagging" someone like I did here is one good way to let them know you have a question for them.  If you type in the "@" and some letter it will bring up the list of available users.  Like this @DIYJon.

31 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

I'll have to defer to @Renerabbitt on that one because I don't know either.  BTW, I think "tagging" someone like I did here is one good way to let them know you have a question for them.  If you type in the "@" and some letter it will bring up the list of available users.  Like this @DIYJon.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm part of a lot of forums where this is frowned upon, unfortunately.  @DBCooper

2 hours ago, DBCooper said:

Cool.  That works for a manual molding but is there a way to do it with a molding that is part of the counter top?

no, moldings on a countertops behave differently