Temporary dimensions missing for doors, but not other items

tbrummel

Any idea why I'd be missing temporary dimensions for doors only?  I started a new plan to mess with this and if I put a window into a wall, I get temp locating dimensions, as expected.  However, this simply doesn't work for doors.  I've noticed it doesn't work for me on X15 or X14.  

1) Temporary dimensions is enabled (obviously, since it works for the window and toggling it does add/remove the dimensions)

2) I've reviewed the dimensions defaults and even changed the locate to center and I see that is working - I now see measurements from the centers - but not for doors.

So, I figured I'd draw an Interior Dimension to see if those settings were being applied -- and that doesn't find the door (opening) either.  Is a door not an opening? 

I feel like I'm missing some basic 101 setting here but don't recall ever changing anything related to dimensioning until now.  

Click a window, works fine:

window.thumb.png.c51f98c3732321ca29210689999749b7.png

Click a door, nothing:

NoDoorTempDimensions.thumb.png.74995fb46188675d16d9595e4f0e0efd.png

Interior dimension line can't find door:

InteriorNoDoorFound.thumb.png.2759f10535b516a35a063ea8c7259330.png

Dimension defaults - I turned on a locate for everything and doors are still not located:

InteriorDefaults.thumb.png.59c0ee48e7b5b60f1cdb8ecba10a74b8.png

In your window defaults, your "vertical stacking level" is 1.  Change it back to 0.

I think doors are always on level 0 so if you draw a dimension while on level 1 it won't pick up any openings that are on different levels.  This is also why your doors are light grey instead of normal.

You might also want to change any existing windows back to 0 as well if you want your dimensions to pick them up.

I don't think it has anything to do with window stacking levels. Something really weird is going on with doors. You can't change the door layer line color. And it doesn't matter if you change the default door, or use a parametric door style. I copied and pasted a good door from one of my plans and I couldn't change it's line color either, nor could I dimension to it. I changed the window layer line color to green, and moved one door to the window layer but the door line color is still gray. Even on your reference layer, which I see is on, moving up to the attic, everything is red except the doors, even though they're set to display as red in the reference layer.

I'm stumped.

I don't think it has anything to do with window stacking levels...

I think it does.  If you open the window defaults and change the level back to 0, the doors will then work correctly.

I have been burned by this before so my rule is never change the default stacking level.

window levels.png

I think @DBCooper is onto something.  Looking closely, I see the doors are being displayed in light gray, implying they are not on the "current level".  If I cut the window and paste it into another wall and then change it's Window Level to 0, it also fails to display automatic dimensioning!  So, it looks like the automatic dimensions for my plan view are applying only to items on Window Level 1.  How I change the active window level (not the level for a given window) is a mystery to me but if I figure it out, I'll post back...

Oh, and I see DBCooper just posted as I was writing this -- and, sure enough, that works.  The "window defaults" seems to set the "displayed window level (and dimensioning)" and plan view.  Wow.  Thanks for the help!  I might have stumbled on that in 5-10 years :-)