Stud spacing and display framing problems

BuilderP

I just finished drawing a room. I clicked on a wall and then the “display framing for selected wall icon”. Everything looked fine except that the studs were all on 24” centers instead of the 16” centers I specified in the framing defaults. If I try to override it by specifying framing in the wall type definition, it messes up the “display framing for selected wall” view by showing the original framing on the bottom of the screen and the new framing (minus headers for some reason) on the top half of the screen. What am I doing wrong??

Thank you :-)

Peter

Chief Architect X15

Build 25.3.0.77 Windows 64-bitIMG_5261.thumb.jpeg.50be30769d8249c287340b627f2ce22d.jpegIMG_5262.thumb.jpeg.4aff0700d1b2814e71301cf95636afab.jpegIMG_5260.thumb.jpeg.652d49fa1fe5342d49fd7d57746b1626.jpeg

Ok- after beating my head on this for hours today to no avail, I took a break after posting this cry for help. This time when I edited the wall type, I realized that the framing override can be applied individually to each layer of the wall (regardless of what type of material it is). The default is for the top layer on the list, whereas in my case actual framing was the fourth layer. Overriding framing here fixed the issue.

I’m still curious to know why the program was drawing studs at 24”oc instead of the 16” I specified in the defaults….

Framing spacing can also be set in the wall type definition.  If it is set to "use default" it will use what is in the framing defaults.  If it is set to something else, then you are overriding the wall defaults for every wall using that wall type.

6 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

Framing spacing can also be set in the wall type definition.  If it is set to "use default" it will use what is in the framing defaults.  If it is set to something else, then you are overriding the wall defaults for every wall using that wall type.

What about if the wall type does not have any framing specifications? That section is greyed out by default. I assumed that if no framing overrides were specified in a wall type that the overall plan framing settings? I feel like I’m missing a setting someplace that my plan wide framing setting was not applied.

9 minutes ago, BuilderP said:

What about if the wall type does not have any framing specifications? That section is greyed out by default. I assumed that if no framing overrides were specified in a wall type that the overall plan framing settings? I feel like I’m missing a setting someplace that my plan wide framing setting was not applied.

Most likely the issue is in your wall definition.  You shouldn't have framing in different layers of the wall unless you are using it for a siding like B&B or are using it as rain screed.

That section is greyed out by default. 

You just need to select the wall layer that is marked as framing (usually in the "main layer").  If your wall type does not have a layer marked as framing, then you won't get any wall studs so the spacing doesn't matter.

framing layer.png