Cabinet drawer faces

palmer

Hoping somebody has some insight on something that I think should be quite simple but for some reason I can not find the remedy to this issue. I have a 3 drawer base cabinet. The bottom 2 drawers are set to be equal in size but yet when I dimension the drawer faces they are different. What gives???

BASE CABINET.jpg

Palmer:

Follow these steps

• Select your top drawer and then click 'Lock from Auto Resize'
  • Select the other two drawers and make sure that "Lock from Auto Resize' is unchecked
  • Select the 'Vertical Layout Parent' at the top of the list and then click 'Equalize'

The bottom 2 drawers should now be equal size, Check out this article for more info https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02945/designing-cabinet-fronts.html

- Eric

• Like 1

The overlays are not the same, and for the to drawerfronts to be same height, the openings need to be adjusted.

The lower drawerhead covers the entire bottom "separation" while the one above is covering less than half of its lower "separation."

i use CAD to draw a partial section view of the cabinet, placing all the fronts in their stack, which then resolves where those intermediate separations go, and thus gives you the openings.

Attached is an example of my use of CAD to determine cabinet specs.  Shown are two sections of basecab drawer stacks.  One a three-equal-over-one-large-bottom, the other a top-drawer-two-under-equal-size.  The work was done for frameless, but the logic would be same for faceframed.  I'm always doing a 3/8" reveal at top, 1/8" betweens, and full cover no reveal at bottom.  My work shows the d'boxes and the small boxes are for determining where the drawerslide mounting holes go.  I use Chief to precisely draw kitchens and baths, and then use a separate app for working up the cab batches for CNC cutting of all parts.

I show an image from that app, eCabinets, a side view of a basecab, three drawer stack, top drawer over two large lowers, both equal head heights.  My cab box is 30-3/4" high (stands on 4" adjustable legs, not shown), the top drawerfront is 6-1/8", the two below both 12".  

Screenshot 2024-01-22 072145.png

Screenshot 2024-01-22 073359.png

• Upvote 1

And here is a pic of a basecab like what I think you might be doing.  Common height top drawer, two large lowers.

Look at the "Item heights" in the fronts spec dialog.  Chief calls the item "drawer" but it is really the drawer opening.  See how they differ?  They differ so that the drawerhead heights match.  That bottom overlay is 5/16" more than the drawerhead above.

Screenshot 2024-01-22 074059.png

Screenshot 2024-01-22 074214.png

Screenshot 2024-01-22 074227.png