drafting floor plan

decorators3

Hi 

I have been approached by a prospective client to design a house roughly 30 x 30 slab on grade with a gable roof - open concept - vaulted ceiling - 2 bedrooms - 1 bath - kitchen/living . ,,,  I can do this but asking the forum about fee structure or if there is one,  Not sure If I should charge by the hour or sq ft.  There  will be changes for sure once we meet to review the initial design. plus they want construction drawings for the contractor also a schedule for materials, etc.

In one particular  floor plan I developed, the fee structure was based on sq ft but I ended up doing a  lot of changes that I hadn't really allowed for. In others I charged by the hour, but this will be my first with construction  drawings  and more than an electrical schedule 

My plan is to  send  a SCOPE OF WORK  with the fee structure.   Just want to ensure I don't overbid or undersell myself. I'm thinking there may be several fee options involved in this as we move along

Then again I may be overthinking all this

Thanks for any input 

Cheers

Levina 

By the sq foot, two free revisions on the prelims and then final payment after the plans are completed with electrical and structure. Any feedback from family members, interior designers or builders after the client signs off for approval on the finals goes to my $125 per hour rate. You gotta stay in control or things could pan out a year before you finish with them. Been there done that and learned many lessons.

18 hours ago, decorators3 said:

Not sure If I should charge by the hour or sq ft. 

I always charge by the hour ($75.00), some of the users here have accreditations that demand higher fees (Architects, AIBD , & etc.). When you get more answers you will, I think, have more amounts  from $75.00 - up. You should also see variance's in per SF. figures as well.

DJP

Without sounding like a total DON'T KNOW ANYHTING  rather than say ( id--- )  this may seem like a very silly question but designing estimated 1000 sq ft home do i charge a separate fee for the detailed construction drawings. I have an idea on time for the floor plans  but  I have no idea how  long it takes to produce detailed construction drawings 

thanks in advance

Levina