Help With Stairway Condition

HumbleChief

21 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Been struggling (getting used to it) again with this crazy house I'm trying to design from old plans and can't figure out how to draw the stair condition in the attached pic. Thank You

STAIR WAY DOWN.png

Let us know what part is stumping you so that we can hopefully get you pointed in the right direction. There aren't to many steps to copy this. Here's a quick, ugly example but when I run into similar stairways I typically do a good portion of the work in an elevation view using some quick cad lines as a reference and to give snapping points to get the wall slope right. 

Make that stairwell it's own room with a room divider at the foot. Manually bring down one corner of the adjacent wall to slope it to match the stairs. It should be very similar to building out any stairwell inside of a home.

Potentially easier is to break up the wall, make the sloped portion a solid railing, and set it to follow stairs. I have issues occasionally with this so I often revert to manually moving it. 
image.thumb.png.69dabee8dcbbd9cb123ee16650f41c8f.png

• Downvote 1

Dam, it looks so simple and appears to be so

2 hours ago, solver said:

What condition is the problem?

Sorry I thought the pic illustrated he condition and can't seem to figure out how to execute same. It's a second story deck with stairs that drop down the outside wall. Just can't grasp the method needed.

2 hours ago, plannedRITE said:

Let us know what part is stumping you so that we can hopefully get you pointed in the right direction. There aren't to many steps to copy this. Here's a quick, ugly example but when I run into similar stairways I typically do a good portion of the work in an elevation view using some quick cad lines as a reference and to give snapping points to get the wall slope right. 

Make that stairwell it's own room with a room divider at the foot. Manually bring down one corner of the adjacent wall to slope it to match the stairs. It should be very similar to building out any stairwell inside of a home.

Potentially easier is to break up the wall, make the sloped portion a solid railing, and set it to follow stairs. I have issues occasionally with this so I often revert to manually moving it. 
image.thumb.png.69dabee8dcbbd9cb123ee16650f41c8f.png

Thanks Ethan it does indeed look easy but brain's just not grasping the technique. I'll try again.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Ethan it does indeed look easy but brain's just not grasping the technique. I'll try again.

All good! It can be tricky but I've done a few like this lately so it just happens to be somewhat fresh in my brain. :D

To add to your findings, a suggestion might be to make a copy of the outer wall, and change the fir framing to stucco. 

This works well in lieu of a solid railing with a cap.  The rail wall appears to be all stucco. 

• Upvote 1