Persistent Roof, Attic Wall, Ceiling Issues at Covered Porch

KnotSquare

A lot, including the lot, had to be removed in order to get this down to a size I could zip for ChiefTalk. I saved screen shots of primary dialogue boxes for ease of evaluating my scenario. As for the Porch Structure Room Specifications dbx.png, I have two versions. One when the ceiling was flat, the other in the current zipped file configuration.

The roof has a few issues:

1. I am seeking a flat ceiling over the entire Covered Porch, hugging the bottom of the sub-fascia.
  2. Once this is figured out, I want to extend the roof over the steps. I cannot seem to figure a means of making the exterior steps a room so that they can have a ceiling. Is manual the only method or maybe just the simplest?
  3. The roof framing had to be removed for files size, so I cannot ask by pointing out that the porch roof will not allow me to use trusses although it did previously. It states that it is too shallow.
  4. If I can get the settings correct and understand my errors, for a strong rendering, I may go back and create custom surfaces so that only the edge of the ceiling is vented.
  5. I added a video to YouTube if further explanation is required.

Porch Roof Issues Persist.png

Porch General Room Specifications dbx.png

Porch Structure Room Specifications dbx.png

Rail Specification dbx where attic is porch material.png

Roof Plane Specification General dbx.png

Roof Plane Specification Options dbx.png

Roof Plane Specification Structure dbx.png

Entry Stair Side Section Saved View.png

Porch Roof Issues Persist (earlier dbx settings than in the zipped file).png

Peck C7 (Reduced).zip

• Like 1

Eric,

You may have been the one that showed me the setting, Shelf Ceiling, but it may have been Glenn W. I cannot find that in my history in Chief Talk. I am certain that you have been on this plan in the past however. The clients decided to build a pole barn first, so this was delayed. They had to have a place to store their new Dodge Charger they bought before they were discontinued.

Any thoughts on this?

I see a link to YouTube with your message. I will see if you posted something there.

Mark

I certainly do not know why checking Shelf Ceiling in the Room Specification dbx is not getting rid of the attic roofs over the porch. I am making a little headway, but have been working on getting this one roof correct since I got up. I am starting to go a little stur crazy.

Hi KnotSquare Design, you certainly have clearly explained and demonstrated what is not working correctly for you with that fine description inc. pictures and video. Nice design work and we can certainly see what you are trying to achieve here.

To avoid going stir crazy I would first hold off from building any framing until you get the model looking correct. I am still back at X10 and I am sure one or a few of the Chief Masters here will help you to undo your modeling display issues one by one. I would start troubleshooting by looking at your room definitions first and taking it from there.

Lets see who can unravel these mysteries for you ?

@mthd97

Question about your suggestion...

First, thanks for correcting my "stur" crazy. Never notice until after submit.

If I have framed prior to working out all the issues, do you feel that the model is eternally altered even if I delete framing using the Delete Objects dbx?

Thanks for the input.

Mark

4 minutes ago, KnotSquare said:

@mthd97

Question about your suggestion...

First, thanks for correcting my "stur" crazy. Never notice until after submit.

If I have framed prior to working out all the issues, do you feel that the model is eternally altered even if I delete framing using the Delete Objects dbx?

Thanks for the input.

Mark

Hi Mark, you could just turn off your framing layers from displaying in the 3D window for now to unclutter the 3D display ? If you have exposed rafters you can keep them on with the use of layers that you do want to display in the 3D window. Floor Trusses do not need to be turned on at this stage and they can be manually edited later on as well.

I am always saving my work in advance so that if you have already started your framing work you can save that plan file separately for future reference just incase you need to go back to it.

I will step out of the way and let one of the Chief Master help you to get your model displaying correctly. 

Enjoy the process !

@solver

Eric,

I had to upgrade my power supply with my card, so be aware that some of these new cards are quite thirsty.

My 3080ti is quite adept at handling about anything I throw at it, with Chief, AutoCAD and ReCap running at once. It required a minimal 750W power supply, but that $2k card is likely quite affordable now as the 3090 came out while I was ordering the new computer that cost me the same as a video card and power supply alone.

Just a tip from learn as you go upgrades.

Mark

@KnotSquare -

Can you create/post a cad detail of how you want the porch ceiling to look? I'm confused because in your post you state that you don't want at "boxed" eave...but, you want the ceiling of the porch to extend to the back of the subfascia. The porch room ceiling will only extend to the wall that creates the room...it won't extend to the back of the subfascia. 

Also, where exactly does the load bearing main layer of your stud walls on level 1 sit on the ICF foundation wall? Does the frame wall main layer sit directly over the concrete portion of the ICF wall? Does it look like this?
2023-11-27_11-52-05.thumb.png.3db7e32879a67852d0899e1b598983da.png

@SNestor

I was creating a detail for Eric last night, but it was getting late. I will try to go through all you and Eric have offered this morning, but not sure I can accomplish it all prior to my meeting with these clients at 1PM to go over their electrical layout. I will do my best, but my office looks like a tornado came through. Have to take a little time to make it somewhat presentable as well.

I will cut the detail for the porch for you as I will need that soon, regardless.

In the meantime, just for clarity, we are going to use either lick-n-stick faux stone veneer or, my preference, real stone veneer, the think stuff that also applies with thinset and does not require a base for support.

Real, thick stone, tends to be reserved for homes in the Yellowstone Club, Rock Creek or commercial buildings. Montana, Butte in particular, was on the level of Las Vegas for the west back in the 1800s, early 1900s. Wealth for many citizens waned with the development of open pit mining and the sale of the mines to Dodge/Phelps. Most wealthy people are from out of state and don't care for our 9 months of winter. Likely the only thing that the Series Yellowstone got correct. Wealth is not generated or spread to the locals.

These clients are a young couple that migrated from the Oregon coast where they made almost enough money to afford this larger home in anticipation of setting down roots and creating a family. They have required the backing of their parents since prices of materials and labor sky rocketed since Covid.

I push the use of geothermal and a little extra continuous insulation onto clients that are investing in their homes as a place to live, therefor the extra thick wall detail.

But... to work.

Thank you for your interest in my project. Many do not use AutoCAD in conjunction with Chief, but that is my specialty and I know it backwards and forwards, especially 2D. If you ever need assistance, please hit me up.

Mark

@SNestor

I have placed my AutoCAD sections over the saved section views for A-A & B-B in the plan I am attaching. This is how I go back and forth to ensure that I have not only drafted it correctly, but that Chief is building it as I desire. Both the Detail Layer set for Sections and the Section View Layer set for Elevations have been copied and appended "w CAD" with the AUTOCAD BLOCK layer turned on.

I am sending the area of interest you were asking about, concerning the top of ICF wall and how it is to lay out in an image. I call the "BASELINE" on buildings where I can maintain a continuous vertical outer line of bearing by this name.

You can see where I pulled down the wall at the back of the garage to allow framing over the furred wall as it reveals the slab and insulating foam, etc. through the joists in Section and Elevation A-A.

Section and Elevation B-B appear to be the same, but the floor trusses will not be visible here, and are incomplete. At this location the section cuts through the Garage and no floor trusses will be visible. In section A-A, the stairs from Chief let me know that I forgot the underlayment in my AutoCAD section.

Many Chief users have criticized me for still using ACAD, but until I have the confidence that I am building my structures with complete accuracy, I have to do this to ensure that I put out the product I let my clients and builders know I will produce, to include an accurate Materials List.

Thanks to ChiefTalk and its members, I am getting there. I feel I am getting close to a point where my understanding will make it worth my while to hire someone offering instruction money to hone my skills.

This project and the Fisher Residence on my website are larger projects due early spring and complex builds from my perspective in Chief. I know I will have to get assistance in the next couple of months to ensure this is on schedule. Our building season is short up here and people get anxious.

Let me know if you might be interested and how you conduct one on one please.

I appreciate your time and hope to give back by next year.

God would I love to work in the CA offices and help them truly get a handle on how things are built in the real world and that many areas now enforce codes that should make products like Rockwool and Thermafiber part of their Manufacturer catalogue. I believe they would benefit from having wall and roof systems from Building Science as part of their catalogues as well.

I will be creating better details for you and Eric after my meeting.

Mark

Elevation A-A TOW at Nudura Closeup.png

Peck C7 (Reduced).zip

Hi Mark, it’s totally fine to use AutoCAD with Chief Architect as many others here do as well.

If you have conceptual drawings in AutoCAD for this project it might be good to share them so someone here could model your project correctly ?

@mthd97

Method 97 (guessing),

The message prior to yours from me to SNestor has a zipped drawing attached. In there are at least the sections as described in what I wrote on a Layer named AUTOCAD BLOCK.

I have the "reduced" plan open at this time going through what Eric had sent earlier, mostly working it out with his help, but getting a couple of glitches he did not. In this drawing, meaning that most likely in the zipped drawing last sent, the floor plans from AutoCAD are also on their own layer and part of the Chief model.

Please, let me know what you think.

You can turn the ACAD off and on at will with the layer set, or the layer itself.

I will be updating hopefully by the end of day tomorrow. I am making progress and have a couple if ideas why I may still have some glitches and want to try to work them out before pestering anyone else.

There are so many settings and the labels and descriptions in the help file can at times be cryptic.

Mark

Hi Mark, I think you are doing ok while you learn how to model accurately in CA.

As Eric already pointed out, you need to have all your walls connected correctly along with your roof planes. The room definitions will only work when walls are connected properly and you may have to use some invisible walls to create room definitions. With Chief you have to think in cubes that define rooms and how they stack up on each other.

And then also with the help of S Nestor you should be able to produce a more accurate Chief house model from now on. Even the more complex designs like yours.

The more you work with CA the more you learn the tricks of the 3D CAD house model trade.

All good fun learning.