Resetting an origin - material regions & custom backsplash patterns

TheoryDesign

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

When I try to show tile layouts on walls or floors I often find I cannot shift the origin of it. Reference guide & search terms I've tried here are not turning anything up. The tools I've tried to show these layouts accurately include Material Regions, Custom Backsplash, Hatching & changing the wall/floor types Material. I do not want to apply 2D Cad fill patterns in elevations & floor plans for this purpose--seems archaic to do it that way with the many advanced & integrated solutions Chief offers? Thanks for a few suggestions.

Shifting finish patterns on walls or floors.PNG

• Solution

You can offset the origin in the material definition either horizontally or vertically.  You will need to use copies of the material if you don't want to change everything in the plan that is using the same material though.  Also, there are separate controls for the texture and the pattern.

There is some good info here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00194/changing-the-direction-of-a-material-s-pattern-and-texture.html

Thanks, that solved it.

On this same topic (and assuming this is now the best way for me to manipulate tile patterns on walls) how might you solve this part of it? 

The wall finish changes part way.  I.e. the shower tile does not extend all the way out to the corner so I'm trying to show drywall on the rest. When I break the wall into 2 walls it just wants to merge back into one wall, keeping the same surface treatment on both. 

end wall3.PNG

end wall.PNG

end wall2.PNG

When I break the wall into 2 walls it just wants to merge back into one wall, keeping the same surface treatment on both. 

I think the custom backsplash, or wall material region, might work good in this situation (as suggested by Eric).

Just as an FYI, whenever you add a wall break, the program will really want to merge the two walls back into one unless you change a setting to make the two walls different.  One of the easiest ways to do this is to just reverse the direction of one wall.  In your case, since you are going to have a very short section of wall at the end, you might also get a program warning about the walls being "unconnected" that you should be able to click on and say "ignore".

4 hours ago, DBCooper said:

Just as an FYI, whenever you add a wall break, the program will really want to merge the two walls back into one unless you change a setting to make the two walls different.

This behaviour is controlled by the Auto Merge Collinear Walls setting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Eric & DBCooper - I see how I can manipulate those other tools you mentioned (material regions & custom backsplashes) in the same ways now. Very helpful. I'm just not exactly sure when it's best to use each one. Are these assumptions correct? 

1) Always start with wall or floor "Material" specification dialog. If that isn't customizable enough (e.g. not the entire wall gets same finish)

2) Apply a Material Region to specific areas requiring it

3) Can alternately build a custom backsplash but only do this when millwork is part of the equation

It seems like material regions & custom backsplashes are in effect the same thing, being layers on top of the wall. When would you use one over the other?