3D BIM HVAC Modeling vs 2D CAD HVAC Drawing

MattMRM

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Chief but am experienced in CAD and Residential Architecture. My question is concerning the development of HVAC drawings in Chief. I'm wondering what the best methods/ tools are in Chief to develop HVAC drawings? I understand it's possible to draw 2D CAD lines over existing floorplans to develop HVAC drawings. However, I'm wondering if there are any BIM tools that I can use to develop these? If not, how hard would it be to set up my own BIM HVAC models? I'm really looking for the best long-term solution for developing HVAC drawings even if it means spending time now to develop tools / models for them. I work for a design/ build company and having HVAC in 3D for our field guys and for design development would really help. 

Thanks!

• MattMRM changed the title to 3D BIM HVAC Modeling vs 2D CAD HVAC Drawing

There are a few special libraries of HVAC items that may be useful :  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/3d-library/index.php?r=site/library&category=Mechanical%2C Electrical%2C Plumbing

As for plumbing and electrical that gets a little more complex but can also be done in 2D and 3D.

@Carudo had posted some examples of commercial electrical layouts that were really well done as well as some library symbols to share :