Attaching a deck changes siding material

mmebsc

I've had this problem a couple times before but I seem to have been able to figure it out. Now I can't seem to get it fixed without detaching the deck from the wall and making it free standing. Simply, when I attach the deck my siding changes to some default and I can't get it back to my custom options, color, and siding type. Any thoughts?

Chief Architect X13

Windows 10 Pro

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz

Untitled 53.jpg

Parkroy Concept 1.zip

That Plan file can't be opened. :( 

Assuming what's happened here is you've painted your exterior walls, then drew a deck. When you draw room attached to an Exterior wall, that new area is then defined as a Room that has its own "wall" material, the default is to just defer to the wall's default material. End result: the wall loses the material that was painted and goes back to using the Wall's default material, i.e., whatever the Wall Type is defined to use.

You'll run into less issues if you redefine your Siding wall type to use that gray siding material rather than using the painter tool.

1 hour ago, mmebsc said:

oops, Sorry. Forgot to add the file. B) this one has data in it 

I'll give your solution a try. Thank you.

Chief Architect X13

Windows 10 Pro

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz

Parkroy Concept 1.zip 2.33 MB · 0 downloads

The reason the program is changing your material is that it’s reverting to the wall’s “default material”.

Click on the wall and open its dbx. 
Go to “wall type” tab and click on the “define” button. 
Change the siding material that you want for this plan. The program’s default material for this wall type is now changed for this plan. 

Precautionary step: while still in the wall’s dbx go back to the “materials” tab. 
Verify that the “Exterior Wall Surface” says “Default: __________” next to it. 
If it doesn’t, click “Select Material”, select the “Plan Materials”, scroll to the top of the list and select “Use Default”.

5 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

while still in the wall’s dbx go back to the “materials” tab.
If it doesn’t, click “Select Material”, select the “Plan Materials”, scroll to the top of the list and select “Use Default”.

easier still is to open a camera, grab the Material Painter, but instead of selecting a material, check "Use Default" at the bottom - then set the Painter Scope to "Plan" and blast all your painted walls back to Default in a single click.

Then redefine your walls type.

If you define them first, the magic of instantly setting them all to default is pretty anti-climactic.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...