Arrows and their layers, and SPV for different scale

GeneDavis

I'm having trouble understanding the right way to annotate a framing plan view done to a different scale than my standard 1/4" = 1'.

There is a lot of detail in one small part of a roof framing plan, so I want a way to have a 1/2" = 1' view I can annotate to send to layout.  

So I thought I'd need a new SPV, right?  Because I already have a SPV for roof framing, and it is for 1/4" scale, and I don't want this view to be showing any existing anno from that 1/4" SPV.

The only thing I need to have in this view, anno-wise, is text, dimensions, and the arrows used with text.  My anno practice for text with an arrow is to draw the text, then draw a text line with arrow.  Maybe I should change that practice and do it in reverse, using the leader line thing which generates an arrow from its arrowhead end and then can have rich text input, but that is a whole different topic.  For now, I don't want to change.  Text first, then text line with arrow.

So I set up a default set, "Framing Default Set, Roof, 1/2" scale."  Also set up layers for text, dimensions, and CAD for this 1/2" scale view, all called 1/2" scale framing, roof.  With this all set up, I could then do the specs for the new SPV I created for roof framing at 1/2" scale.  I did that.

But I cannot get the arrows to draw into the layer I want.  They want to come in to the layer for Electrical.  I am confused about drawing an anno arrow using "text line with arrow."

Why is this so hard?  Is my strategy wrong?  When wanting to generate a view at a new scale, don't we need to do it using a SPV?

Gene,

SPVs are the way to go but you need to have the defaults and layersets set to match the scale.  I'm not sure if everything including the arrows will follow the SPVs, but they should.

If you drag the arrow from the text (diamond handle) it should be on the same layer as the text.  Also check the "Default" for Current CAD Layer.