NY concrete slab for attached garage - foundation stamp?

Doyle670

I went to see my town building inspector for getting a permit to put up a metal 3 car garage in NY on a concrete floating slab.  It will then have a small breezeway to the house.  He said that the slab will need to have a stamp, or tag of some sort.  Called it a foundation plan stamped for NY.  Does anyone know what this is, or who has to do it?  He said the company installing the metal garage may do it, but when I asked the company, they had no idea what my building inspector was asking for?

This is different then the engineered drawings and stamp needed on the design of the metal garage itself. 

Any help is appreciated.  I've done many concrete projects in the past and have never needed it to be stamped or a foundation plan.

Who did the construction docs?  Do the docs include the foundation, its plan view, sections, notes, details, specs?  Sounds like what he is asking for is a set of plans that bear the seal of a NY PE.  If you are not that PE or a NY architect, you're gonna have to find one.  Your inspector is the AHJ.  He sits on a throne.

Does the jurisdiction allow unsealed ("unstamped") plan sets for buildings less than some size, like 1000 sf or less?  The NY jurisdictions I know permit that exception.  If you can find it in writing in the town code, you might be able to wiggle out of this.

Thanks for the quick reply Gene.  The construction docs I was planning on using are the docs for the building itself.  That will have a seal by a NY PE.  But i've never been asked for a set of plans for the concrete slab of a project.(it's been a few years since doing a garage project)  The town allows unstamped plans for buildings less than 250sq ft.  Of course i'm at around 1,000sq ft.  I just find it hard to believe that all other metal garage projects around town are having engineers stamp or seal their concrete slabs.

The building itself includes the foundation.  

The drawings provided by the supplier of the preengineered steel building are of little interest to the AHJ, just as is the engineered roof truss supplier drawings for a wood framed roof in a building.

You're gonna have to pay a pro with a NY seal.