Am I looking for a PC Rainbow Unicorn???

deaconjj

13 hours ago, deaconjj said:

Lightweight (3.5 pound and under), 2 in 1, touch screen, Nvidia 40 series.... I'll start there. Can't find one. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

2 in 1 touch screen is your unicorn.

These high end graphics cards need a lot of cooling otherwise they will throttle and your machine will slow to a crawl.(The next version of the mobile surface studio is the machine you’re speaking about essentially, but that current offering throttles so often you’d be spinning your wheels)

Any machine that proposes otherwise is selling snake oil. Which leads us to your weight limit… these high end cards take big watts and big watts take big power and big power weighs a lot more.

the next generation of machine learning laptops may have graphics on the chip and take less power consumption.. but I bet that’s a ways off still.

14 hours ago, ChiefBiggum said:

Looks like it might do the job with the 4060 included, ( wait for a sale)  not sure you'd want it as your "only" Chief Device though.

Mick.

15 hours ago, ChiefBiggum said:

Hey there! I see you’ve recommended this laptop as a possible 2-in-1 option. Just wanted to clarify that it’s not actually a 2-in-1, but more importantly, I’d be careful about suggesting it for use with Chief. I totally get the good intentions behind the recommendation; however, Chief is very graphics-intensive. This laptop only has one small exhaust port, and that’s not enough to keep it cool when running something as demanding as Chief. Inadequate cooling will likely result in thermal throttling, affecting the CPU’s performance and slowing everything down. Just wanted to give a heads-up so that everyone can make a well-informed decision!

Thank you, Rene and Kbird1, for your comments...

I realize I should re-phrase my wants/intentions better:

This won't be my main production laptop. I have an HPOmen desktop less than a year old with an NVidia RTX 3080, and it seems to be running just fine for my needs. Almost all Chief Design and production will be done on this, or by consultants on their machines.

the 2in1 I'm looking for will be for when i travel, and when I'm at a client's home and likely hovering around the model in 3D. It's not for high end rendering quality design; it's more about giving them a "good enough" visual of the spaces we've designed for them.

The 2in1 part comes in as I may use it for sketching, having the client sign documents in person. etc. I want to have the 2-in-1 touch screen for these and other uses.

That said, do you think a lesser card like a 3050 or 3060 would suffice?  Does this information change your answers? 

As always, thanks so much!!!

21 minutes ago, deaconjj said:

BTW, I've considered this, but I'm not sure if the way it "assembles" would have the comfort/rigidity I'd want when I use it in "laptop mode"....

ASUS Flow Z13 GZ301 13.4" Touch-Screen 2-in-1 Laptop Intel Core i7 16GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 512GB SSD GZ301ZC-PS73 - Best Buy

Personally I would not consider the 3050 even though it will run chief in RTRT mode , it is also of the 12gen series of CPUs , and 13th gen is out and 14th gen comes in Oct. which is why I think there will be good sales over the next 2 months on laptops etc with older chips.  One example is Lenovo (Direct Online) is already Posting Labor Day Sales and there are some interesting Laptops, (legion 5 and 7 which a client of Mine recently purchased and is very happy)  I'm just not sure about the 2n1 or touch capability as I was not looking at those lines, which I believe is their Yoga Line.

M.

Thank you again!  My current 2 in 1 is a Lenovo yoga (I think RTX 1050 graphics). It has been the longest lasting most durable laptop I've ever owned over a 20 year period of laptops including a really cool mini Fujitsu back in the day, a Sony Vaio, a Samsung, and an ASUS (that sucker really ran hot!!!). I hope Lenovo comes out with something... I appreciate your feedback!

6 hours ago, deaconjj said:

Thank you again, Rene!  My current 2 in 1 is a Lenovo yoga (I think RTX 1050 graphics). It has been the longest lasting most durable laptop I've ever owned over a 20 year period of laptops including a really cool mini Fujitsu back in the day, a Sony Vaio, a Samsung, and an ASUS (that sucker really ran hot!!!). I hope Lenovo comes out with something... I appreciate your feedback!

Well if you already have a Lenovo and like I am surprised to didn't look there 1st ?  or maybe you did?

Mick.

20 hours ago, deaconjj said:

BTW, I've considered this, but I'm not sure if the way it "assembles" would have the comfort/rigidity I'd want when I use it in "laptop mode"....

ASUS Flow Z13 GZ301 13.4" Touch-Screen 2-in-1 Laptop Intel Core i7 16GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 512GB SSD GZ301ZC-PS73 - Best Buy

If you want to draw and don’t care about the lower end graphic card I would def go with the surface studio mobile.

it’s optimized for stylus use with greater pen sensitivity and higher resolution. It’s a bit more expensive though… I’d probably be waiting for the next version though as it will likely get a 4060 card

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deaconjj said:

Hi Mick,

I did start with Lenovo and continue to look.  As Rene pointed out, getting high end graphics into a 2 in 1 seems to be tricky!

Best,

John

It does seem tough to find a Nvidia card in a 2n1 these Days , most have gone to the Intel Xe or Iris , and it looks like the HP linked above maybe one of the better Options ( on Paper ) esp. if you can wait for the a Sale  , which may be for Labor Day?

M.

• Like 1