deaconjj

Members
  • Posts

    46
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by deaconjj

  1. Thanks for responding, Rene! If you mean the caproj file thing - no. That was too much of a nightmare and learning curve for me to get over. I collaborate a lot with consultants, and I couldn't understand how to trust that I'd be picking up on the latest plan file or not. and the file sizes are monstrous. thanks!
  2. back in x15, if did "Chief Architect Save as PDF", it would print the file right there in the same folder as the chief file, where it belonged. Same as x16. NOW in x17, the pdf file lands in whatever the last folder i sent a PDF file to --- totally different project folders. This is such a time suck and workflow killer. Does anyone know how to fix this?
  3. Tinadelllic, I'd like to take you up on your offer - I'd like to know how you managed to get RESCheck to pass (Could you share your REScheck file with me?)... I have a similar conundrum. Kyle is correct, one could always use the prescriptive code and RESCheck would not be required. Unfortunately not all building officials got that memo (or actually read the code which explains why they can't require a RESCheck when the prescriptive code is shown to comply on the plans. My email is John@JohnJonesAIA.com if you are willing to reach out with help - thanks!
  4. I've been a Chief evangelist for many years, and there are likely dozens of Chief Users out there because of my recommendations. So, probably a stupid question, but does Chief offer any referral rewards/discounts to either the recommender or the buyer these days? I have another friend who's interested, and if I could save them a few bucks, it would be nice. (And the right thing for Chief to do...).
  5. I've been a Chief evangelist for many years, and there are likely dozens of Chief Users out there because of my recommendations. So, probably a stupid question, but does Chief offer any referral rewards/discounts to either the recommender or the buyer these days? I have another friend who's interested, and if I could save them a few bucks, it would be nice. (And the right thing for Chief to do...).
  6. I'm late to the conversation, but wondering if anyone is successfully running Chief on an Ipad Pro with M1 chip? This wouldn't be my main machine, but could be a nice-to-have when traveling, etc.
  7. TeaTime, thanks for giving a clear visual explanation of how linetypes work. That helps! John
  8. Thank you. With everything else improving so much with Chief, this should have been tackled by now...
  9. This one has driven me nuts since forever, but finally to the point where I expect there should be solution. Please see the square footing lines. Is there a way for me to get 4 equal lines, with dashes equally centered, on each side of this square? If not, there should be by now... thanks in advance!
  10. Hi Mick, I did start with Lenovo and continue to look. As Rene pointed out, getting high end graphics into a 2 in 1 seems to be tricky! Best, John
  11. Thank you again! My current 2 in 1 is a Lenovo yoga (I think RTX 1050 graphics). It has been the longest lasting most durable laptop I've ever owned over a 20 year period of laptops including a really cool mini Fujitsu back in the day, a Sony Vaio, a Samsung, and an ASUS (that sucker really ran hot!!!). I hope Lenovo comes out with something... I appreciate your feedback!
  12. BTW, I've considered this, but I'm not sure if the way it "assembles" would have the comfort/rigidity I'd want when I use it in "laptop mode".... ASUS Flow Z13 GZ301 13.4" Touch-Screen 2-in-1 Laptop Intel Core i7 16GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 512GB SSD GZ301ZC-PS73 - Best Buy
  13. Thank you, Rene and Kbird1, for your comments... I realize I should re-phrase my wants/intentions better: This won't be my main production laptop. I have an HPOmen desktop less than a year old with an NVidia RTX 3080, and it seems to be running just fine for my needs. Almost all Chief Design and production will be done on this, or by consultants on their machines. the 2in1 I'm looking for will be for when i travel, and when I'm at a client's home and likely hovering around the model in 3D. It's not for high end rendering quality design; it's more about giving them a "good enough" visual of the spaces we've designed for them. The 2in1 part comes in as I may use it for sketching, having the client sign documents in person. etc. I want to have the 2-in-1 touch screen for these and other uses. That said, do you think a lesser card like a 3050 or 3060 would suffice? Does this information change your answers? As always, thanks so much!!!
  14. Lightweight (3.5 pound and under), 2 in 1, touch screen, Nvidia 40 series.... I'll start there. Can't find one. Can anyone help? Thanks!
  15. I've been trying to do a mitered corner stair down from a patio to grade; the patio was created as a "slab". Do corner stairs ONLY work for Decks? If so, do I need to use the deck tool and modify it to a patio? Seems counter-productive... While I'm asking, what is the best practice for making a patio? convert a polyline to a slab? make a room? Solid? Thank you!
  16. Thanks all. So it doesn't seem like too much of a pain.
  17. I've used Chief since like v6, and I've never had this problem. I was always able to take an existing vanity, move it, and the walls would stop it so I could easily tuck it in a corner. Or at least snap to another vanity corner. Right now, the walls are not stopping the vanity. Similar with windows - I could slide them up to one another and they'd stop. Now, they fly right through eachother. Did a setting of mine get messed up somewhere? I have been searching through preferences and defaults. Thanks in advance!
  18. I've always used Chief only from a laptop. I'm about to buy a more powerful desktop for my office. I understand I can install Chief on two devices (my laptop and new desktop). Am I going to need to de-activate my desktop everytime after working on it if I want to work on my laptop from home? Can I switch licenses from my laptop if I left it open on my desktop at the office? It sounds like it could be a real PITA. Can anyone advise on this? Thanks!
  19. Thanks! I had already reinstalled Chief this morning (with the new fix) before calling tech support. It didn't work, but Tyler told me the temporary fix for my issue was to change scaling to 100%. Thanks again.
  20. Just to circle back, I spoke with Tyler at Chief Support - super helpful. This is a new issue to them, somewhat related to other issues with the graphics display scaling setting. I have a 4K laptop screen, scaled 250%. The temporary fix is to get the scaling to 100% (and adjust resolution accordingly). Not ideal, but it works, and Chief will address the issue in a future patch. Thanks for all the great help!