Exterior wall framing

GrizzL

Is there a way to set a wall type to build like this?

image.thumb.png.93f680d40a330ba5eb0929545f34bf6c.png

This would be the exterior wall of a post frame home. I am familiar with setting up the posts as the "studs" in the main layer of the wall as well as the 2x6 horizontal girts and siding on the exterior layer. But if my posts are being used as studs in my wall type definition is it possible to also have 2x6 studs in between? Would the best practice be to auto build the 2x6 framing and then go back and manually place the posts? That would be tedious but if it is the only way.....

If there is another way to achieve this I would be grateful to know. Thanks for any help!Residential Post Frame Template.plan

Use the 2x6 studs in your wall definition and then add the posts manually in the wall detail by modifying a stud.     Unfortunately you cant have two stud sizes in a wall or two walls in the same space.

If you want it all auto you may be able to make it work with alternating wall types.  But the other makes your construction details make a bit more sense if you use wall details.

image.thumb.png.a3af96391b07d16c207d60afa3f807b8.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Unfortunately you cant have two stud sizes in a wall or two walls in the same space.

This can be done with 2 wall definitions with one of the walls (the post wall) designated as No Room Definition.

I don't know if it would help much as you will still need to go around and locate the posts and studs.

In this example I made the post wall thicker than the normal timber frame wall to exaggerate what is happening.

I think there are better solutions though.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 9.11.25 am.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 9.11.41 am.jpg

• Like 1