Interior Design Intership

CandiSimone

Hi everyone! My name is Candi Payne. I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but I will try.

Are there any firms, designers, or architects in the Atlanta area, that use this software, open to an Interior Design student as an Intern?  I am currently in my senior year at Georgia State University, and unfortunately, my professors do not enjoy that I use Chief Architect for most of my design work. I was already working with it before I started the program, and I woud like to become extremely efficient with it. This year, we must do an internship.  I would like to work with a company that uses Chief a good amount, so that I can not only learn more, but also ne an assest while I'm with them.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be helpful!

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CandiSimone said:

Hi everyone! My name is Candi Payne. I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but I will try.

Are there any firms, designers, or architects in the Atlanta area, that use this software, open to an Interior Design student as an Intern?  I am currently in my senior year at Georgia State University, and unfortunately, my professors do not enjoy that I use Chief Architect for most of my design work. I was already working with it before I started the program, and I woud like to become extremely efficient with it. This year, we must do an internship.  I would like to work with a company that uses Chief a good amount, so that I can not only learn more, but also ne an assest while I'm with them.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be helpful!

Thank you!

Try putting this in the offering services and/or chat forums.  

• Like 1

I like that you are taking this initiative. Also, tying your goal to one software package is very limiting. If you reach out to local interior design firms ask a few questions:

1. What software packages are you using?

2. Would it be possible for me to come in for an informational interview? I am trying to break into this field and I need practice and advice on how to present myself and yours is the type of firm that I would like to work for in the future... (this is from the book "Knock Em Dead", a must read).

Learn Sketchup! Learn the basics of ACAD. Those are likely the most used softwares. If you end up in a small firm, show them Chief Architect and you will be using that at your new office soon.

• Like 1

@Gawdzirathank you so much for your reply.  I will definitely incorporate your suggestions in my official search for an internship.  To your point, I have learned sketchup, ACAD, Revit, and TwinMotion in school.  We use these also.  I enjoy using CA much more, so I would like to work in a firm that uses it often, so that while improving my skills with the others, I also get to improve and learn more with CA...which I personally plan to use the most moving foward in my career.

Good luck in your search. One more thing, Portfolio. 

I really don't think this has changed since I was in school. People can digest very little and have short attention spans. You get 10 images before people tune out. I know with digital portfolios people tend to think that more is more but less is still more.