3D printing of CA model

VANTHOF

• 4 weeks later...

Now that you've asked, I am a little interested in trying.

I'm not in front of my PC with CA, but I'm sure you can export to dwg which will create an AutoCAD file with nothing but 3d solids.

From there I would remove any areas that you wont be able to see, unneeded, etc.

At this point you could scale your model down to fit your print bed or do it when you slice it (I think it'd be easier to do in AutoCAD).

Next use the command "3D PRINT" to make the stl file.

Import the stl into your slicing program and check for problem areas.

I played around with this feature several years back.  I was able to print out 3d models on my Lulzbot TAZ 3d printer fairly easily, but I found colored renderings to be more helpful to clients than the printed 3d model.  How were you planning to use the 3d models?  Maybe I'll give this another try!

It is unfortunate that the Print to Model feature was discontinued. This was an older feature that would give you an exploded view that could be printed with cutting out pieces for a cardboard/chipboard model. This could be useful to make .stl files to print walls and assemble. Given the overhang issues with a printed model, the cleanup on the model makes it a time suck that I am not very interested in. If you are sending it out to a printing service, then maybe it would work as a straight .stl

• 3 weeks later...

thank you for the info. Susan, I enjoy the renderings, I share the 3D model with my clients and some clients I have interact with VR but a 3D model is something that could I think a lot of my clients can enjoy. it is also something that can stay. it can end up on a desk or somewhere to be viewed by many that visit the home.

I thought it might be easy like some sketches models can be but so far I didnt have much luck.

• 4 weeks later...

It is possible to make a 3d printable model but it takes more 3D modeling software than Chief has. Personally do some CNC work as well as laser - 3D printer and have several programs that are able to do this.

1st way:

Is to convert to a usable file outside of Chief..... ( I used 3ds and pulled the file into Rhinoceros which translated the file. Then able to convert to a number of other formats and personally usually go to Rhinocam)

2nd way:

Convert to a file that is usable by a CADCAM program that will produce a Laser File (usually STL but not necessarily the only file that will work... depends on the 3D printer software--- Screen Shot is using Aspire 11.5)

Attached 3 different screen shots of steps.... 1st = Chief, 2nd = Rhinoceros 3ds, 3rd = Aspire

457498559_ChiefJAHGFSLV-15png.thumb.png.a750eae8215665004b5b0247d4b3337a.png1665149071_DSJAHGFSLV-15.thumb.png.4f91c4e1483003f2641142be2b6deffa.png1634987988_ModelforCNCor3DprinterJAHGFSLV-15.thumb.png.49b9e166c4edc9ef984ad411c0cd2002.png 

Hope this helps.

kw