Disappearing fascia and roof help

GrizzL

This is a post frame building I am attempting to model. It is my first attempt at a complete model and the roof building has been the first aspect of CA that hasn't "clicked". I have my trusses set where I want them as well as my posts. When finally building the roof I run into a couple of parts that are stumping me....

1. I would like to be able to have no overhang on this roof (that is how we build them). I went to the roof defaults and set both of the overhang values to "0" and they defaulted back to .25". This was ok at the time but when I create a Full Overview the fascia is missing.

image.thumb.png.673e064981d21eea3c6d7e3bbf5feccd.png

So I went back to my default roof settings and found that 3" was the minimum value on the overhangs to make the fascia appear in the Perspective Full Overview. I accepted this and moved on to framing the roof and ran into another stump. I am assuming that by accepting the 3" minimum overhang my trusses are sticking out past my poles and my subfascia is being held off of the pole as well.

image.thumb.png.51b1e46c263d9082a1f264c03f745fbd.pngimage.thumb.png.0da749ce98d62746b1cfeb52508293ff.png

I could have almost lived with the .25" minimum value but I can't even see it in my model. Can we even achieve what I am after in this situation?

This structure will also have a 12 ft roof extension off of the front as well as full length 12 ft lean to's on the sides.

image.thumb.png.0ef3866cf65556c8572615a124830fda.png

This is my sketchup sketch. The doors are different now but this is the general idea. It may be because of my experience with sketchup buy in Chief I started with the main structure first. Should I be building this main roof system differently in CA in order to add these lean to's and roof extension? Thank you so much for any pointers you can provide.

Catchings_shop_fp2.plan

By examining a section view, and assuming you're framing is dialed in how you'd like it, then you need to make some adjustment to the auto roofs for correct modelling.

I'm going to assume you will be using a metal fascia cladding over the lumber sub-fascia. I'll list a few adjustments you can make in the Build Roof dialog (in no particular order):

1. roof framing: trusses
  2. heel height: 7 15/16"
  3. roof structure thickness: 0"
  4.  delete the ceiling surface
  5. uncheck soffits
  6. fascia thickness: 1/16" x 6 1/4" high
  7. eave and gable overhang: 2 5/16" (this is measured from the exterior of the wall main layer), 0.75" plus 1.5" sub-fascia plus 1/16" metal fascia

Try these with auto-rebuild roofs turned on and you should get this result with the exact correct elevation

image.thumb.png.81aca2dac5b88c73dbc733e0fb2a9905.pngimage.thumb.png.5401228ac01681da79f35f22537728ea.png 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robdyck said:

If I understand you correctly, you'd like the wall cladding to extend up to the roof sheathing and only a metal flashing would serve as the 'fascia', is that correct?

Yes Rob that's correct.

With your help I was able to get the fascia visible.

image.thumb.png.b5da324d01ce014b0b23c864720c9c50.png

However, in the process, I lost my purlins and eave board and can't figure the settings to bring them back.

image.thumb.png.a376749954c6c554cb4c648133a1018a.png

Also, I would like to get that truss to be flush with the outside of the pole so that the eave board (when I bring it back) can be flush against the pole as well, bringing it all to the same plane as the wall girts. I know that I can do that manually to each truss and eave board but I was hoping there was a way to incorporate it into auto roof. As I said before this is my first full model and I'm pouring all of my time into learning this software so thank you for help.

Here is my most recent plan file as well. Catchings_shop_fp2.plan

image.png

11 hours ago, GrizzL said:

However, in the process, I lost my purlins and eave board and can't figure the settings to bring them back.

One of the simplest ways would be to open an older version of the plan using File>Manage Auto Archives. Then you could copy and paste the roof framing from one plan into the other.

14 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Before I try a test model:

2x purlins flatwise on trusses?

2x girts on sidewalls applied flatwise on poles?

We use saddle hangers for the purlins Gene. So those 2x6 purlins are on edge. And yes 2x6 girts across the poles. Of course I could manually move everything into place but I get the idea with this software that that is a last resort. And I do not have a full understanding of the "build" function yet, so if I need to "rebuild" a wall or roof I lose those manual changes if I understand it so far. Edit: Just discovered "Retain Manually Drawn Roof Planes" so my understanding is improving.

4 hours ago, robdyck said:

One of the simplest ways would be to open an older version of the plan using File>Manage Auto Archives. Then you could copy and paste the roof framing from one plan into the other.

Nice tip Rob thx!