disable effect of terrain elevation lines or splines, etc..

chief-greg

Hi all, This may be a weird request, but I have to ask.  Having imported survey dwg, with good terrain elevation data, I want to adjust the terrain by adding my own final grade elevation data. I was hoping to keep the original survey data as a kind of before and after reference. I know we can turn off the display of these lines, but I'm looking for a way to disable line by line, region by region, etc.  

Maybe as a sort of options set of terrain/landscape possibilities, all in the same plan, perhaps just on different views/layer sets ?

Has anyone else wanted to do this, or am I just not seeing the correct approach to get this affect?

Thanks very much, 

Greg

So you have imported elevation lines that chief is using to generate the terrain and contours ?

Elevation Lines can be converted to plain polylines and then they no longer influence the terrain and can be replaced with other data.

You may want to consider using a separate plan file for the proposed terrain and then that can be displayed in 2D and 3D in the original file.

15 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

So you have imported elevation lines that chief is using to generate the terrain and contours ?

Elevation Lines can be converted to plain polylines and then they no longer influence the terrain and can be replaced with other data.

You may want to consider using a separate plan file for the proposed terrain and then that can be displayed in 2D and 3D in the original file.

That sounds like a good option. just save as new -landscaping plan, then convert the imported contours to plain polylines, at least just the ones where I want to adjust the terrain. 

Thank You,

Greg

7 hours ago, chief-greg said:

That sounds like a good option. just save as new -landscaping plan, then convert the imported contours to plain polylines, at least just the ones where I want to adjust the terrain. 

Thank You,

Greg

A couple of options that may help would be to place elevation points where the existing contour lines meet the property line. This will still give the overall effect of the existing, unmodified landscape at the boundary while allowing you to modify the terrain to suit the new building. 

Alternatively, you can cut the existing elevation lines for a set distance around the building allowing you to modify the terrain at the building to create positive drainage. The technique you choose is somewhat dependent on the amount of modification you need to show and how gentle or dramatic the existing terrain is.

18 hours ago, robdyck said:

A couple of options that may help would be to place elevation points where the existing contour lines meet the property line. This will still give the overall effect of the existing, unmodified landscape at the boundary while allowing you to modify the terrain to suit the new building. 

Alternatively, you can cut the existing elevation lines for a set distance around the building allowing you to modify the terrain at the building to create positive drainage. The technique you choose is somewhat dependent on the amount of modification you need to show and how gentle or dramatic the existing terrain is.

Thanks for the suggestions robdyck. What I did thus far is to at least save an original -survey copy that has all the original imported contours for future reference, and in the main plan, I just selected the contours where I want to modify the terrain, and moved them off to the far, far right out of the terrain parameter. Kind of like your suggestion of the points and cuts. Seems to be working ok for now. 

Regards,

Greg 

• 2 months later...

I'm just learning how to work with terrain elements myself and I realize this is a fairly old thread already.  But I'm curious, could you save your original file (as you have done) and then copy and paste the same data to a new file, make your changes to the new file, and use reference layers to superimpose the changes between the original terrain and the new/modified terrain?  Kind of like a reno, where you'd show as-built and new construction?  Maybe terrain doesn't work the same way?

19 minutes ago, onfire2000 said:

I'm just learning how to work with terrain elements myself and I realize this is a fairly old thread already.  But I'm curious, could you save your original file (as you have done) and then copy and paste the same data to a new file, make your changes to the new file, and use reference layers to superimpose the changes between the original terrain and the new/modified terrain?  Kind of like a reno, where you'd show as-built and new construction?  Maybe terrain doesn't work the same way?

Yes you should be able to make that all work that way if you like.  Just making a copy of the As-Built plan file and renaming it at the correct time will save you the trouble of copy and paste.