Help Me Fix A Messed Up Roof (and a few other problems...)

ThomasR89

Hi guys. I'm very to the software and am completely self-learning. I'm designing a house now but am looking to create a barrel exterior roof that rises into the hip about 5 feet in a specific part of the plan but for the life of me I cannot get it right. Not to mention how truly messed up the "Auto roof" has left. And since I haven't learned that part yet I was hoping you guys might be able to give me some insight.

Here is what I'm looking for.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.1085506b9864f79ac956375daff59454.jpg

And here is where I would like it in this plan.

640685683_Untitled64.thumb.jpg.8513edae5c64c22889f1f0f226f83806.jpg

I'm going to attach the plan here. Could anyone help me out?

Sincerely,

Confused In Carolina

Carr1.plan

18 minutes ago, ThomasR89 said:

Wow! I can't thank you enough. That is pretty much exactly What I was looking for. Though I would like it to be a couple feet taller. Would you mind telling me how you managed it?

And again, thank you very much.

Too many things to explain...but, I set the roof default to 8/12. Then opened the walls that required 12/12 and set the pitch. The one key thing to do is in "roof defaults" make sure you select "same height eaves"....and uncheck "same roof height at exterior walls". I manually fixed the roof over the main entry. 

I updated to X15  so I could view the file, But in making some layout changes I have managed to mess the roof up completely. I have spent time watching YouTube videos looking for an answer but it just seems I'm having trouble. Anyone have any idea whats going on? I'm just trying to create a good 12/12 hip roof all around, saving for the few places I want a specific look... And also I have no idea how to make those wood strips at the front into brick.

Its so frustrating to not be able to get this right.

I would truly appreciate any help.

Untitled 3.jpg

Carr2.plan

Thomas -

Have you watched the "roof basics" series of videos in the Chief Training Videos: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5447/roof-basics.html?playlist=95

Good place to start.

You are working on a difficult roof for someone just starting to work with Chief. You might want to create a new plan...and just practice the basics.

3 hours ago, ThomasR89 said:

I would truly appreciate any help.

you didn't accidently auto build the Roofs at 0/12 or some other really low pitch instead of 12/12  did you?

image.thumb.png.ee1caeca847593d5d8563e20be37756d.png

*** Having now looked at your plan the above is exactly what you've done , Chief resets this to 1/4"  to ensure some slope being a Roof.

image.thumb.png.b4ba80b64e29004dd0bea75da4bac002.png

Other Issues

The "Wood Strips" you see are not your fault, Chief for some reason is auto-building those 3 roof planes 1/2 way through the wall , which destroys that brick work, they need to be pulled back out of the wall.

image.thumb.png.e1ca0d2ae1f7761bedfa188916ab0263.png

there are also some reversed walls , ie showing the drywall on the outside  click the wall and then on the reversing tool on the edit toolbar

image.thumb.png.bff0224b3ecc2095953128ba4eaf17be.png

It is unlikely that on a roof this complex that Chief will ever auto build it completely as desired, there is no point fight it, and getting totally frustrated, as at some point you will need to go manual anyway. I always go Auto 1st , which gets me the basics in the 65% to 90% range and then finish it manually as needed.

Mick.

Hey Kbird1, Thank you for reaching out. I appreciate it so much.

I'm trying to work my through everyone's instructions. And here's where I am so far. I got the walls right, I made the roof on the little dining pop-out smaller, as it was too big. I also gave the floor plan one final edit to make a bigger closet.

I still want the barrel roof above that tall window but I've tried a few different methods and each one comes with problems, none are correct. The roof is still not right, though the pitch is.

And I'm going to include another pic here but its from an edit animation so its light. But essentially I would like to inward game room windows to rise up into the roof too and the top row to follow that shape.

If anyone can help me out with some instructions that would be amazing, perhaps then I can move onto the second floor and the staircase as I know I'll struggle there too. Though I am excited to learn!

Untitled 5.jpg

Untitled5.jpg

Carr2 - Copy.plan

One other thing I noticed was that you have Spray Canned the Brick on your exterior Walls, a common new User mistake as while it looks like a brick wall,

all you have really done is change the 3/4" Siding to a 3/4" layer of Brick and thus structurally etc it is not correct, ie Brick is about 3" thick. You should Set

you default exterior Wall  to the Correct Brick WallType eg Brick 6 and then change/Force each of the exterior walls to use the correct Walltype and material

if needed.

more info here :

49 minutes ago, ThomasR89 said:

Hey Kbird1, Thank you for reaching out. I appreciate it so much.

1.  I'm trying to work my through everyone's instructions. And here's where I am so far. I got the walls right, I made the roof on the little dining pop-out smaller, as it was too big. I also gave the floor plan one final edit to make a bigger closet.

2.  I still want the barrel roof above that tall window but I've tried a few different methods and each one comes with problems, none are correct. The roof is still not right, though the pitch is.

3,  And I'm going to include another pic here but its from an edit animation so its light. But essentially I would like to inward game room windows to rise up into the roof too and the top row to follow that shape.

1. You could leave that roof off and just let the walls continue up under the Overhang above

2. Barrel Roofs are Tricky , have a look at this for tips.......... ( the KB has many good short tutorials )  but in this case I'd use 2 roof planes , 1 for each half of the Barrel.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00649/creating-a-curved-barrel-roof.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00684/joining-a-barrel-roof-to-a-flat-roof-plane.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00688/joining-curved-roof-planes.html

and 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/746/drawing-curved-and-barrel-roofs.html?playlist=95

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/709/compound-curved-roof.html?playlist=95

3.  you want the roof to curve inward like the window wall?   I thought the the current roof looked good myself and option might be a Barrel there too ( better weather protection)

to match the Dining Room one.

Mick.