Deck and stair newels

ccollin

Hello everyone, a couple of questions regarding newels in railings.

1) I can't seem to show railing newels in the reference display (1st Floor). I need to place deck joists (Foundation) in specific positions in relation to the newels and they don't to show up in my reference display.

2) Is there a way to locate the newels when dimensioning? Again, I need to show the spacing and locations of the newel posts, however, I can't seem to find a way to locate them when creating dimensions.

Any tips or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Go to the foundation level, turn on your reference display (F9 is the hotkey). 

Now...click on the "0" floor level and click the define in the reference display window...in this layer set make sure you have "checked" the layer "walls, railing". 

You should now be able to see the newels in your deck railing. 

If not, then make sure in your railing wall definition, under the "newels/balusters" tab you have check "draw newels" and "draw balusters/panels" boxes listed under the "Plan Display" section of the tab.

2023-05-10_13-18-26.thumb.png.e20c6b5cdbad4dde997c83db0bf99621.png

2023-05-10_13-23-08.thumb.png.150ec484d5ff14cfb1e8906e46e7a4ac.png

Like Steve said, but I don't think the newels and rails will actually display in the reference unless the "show details" option is used.  You might want to turn off the xor option too since it might make things look a little funny.

Also, if you need to dimension to your newel posts, then you can manually add wall breaks.  The program should put a newel right at the break.  If you don't want your railings to keep merging and then losing your newel positions/dimensions, you can either change a setting (like layer) for one of the railings or go into your "general wall defaults" and turn off "auto merge walls".

It was just the details that I didn't have checked off for the reference display. Works great now. And breaking the walls will be much less work than what I'm doing right now. Thanks for the great tips!!