How to cut or raise terrain behind retaining wall

BDG2244

I am a landscape architect, not an architect. The software I use modifies terrain in seconds. I have a new client that uses Chief and for the structure side of things, it's a dream.  This client sends me completed site plans with existing elevations in place. How do I raise or lower a flat space behind or in front of a retaining wall that I draw? I am sure it's simple but this is starting to hurt my brain. These homes have all been on slopes exposing stem walls that I am trying to conceal with retaining walls and landscape. Please help...

That is not helping me... I am used to drawing the space that needs an elevation change and then

changing it to the relative height and then voila all your values change because of the flat space you have created...

When I create a retaining wall, I also  use a "Terrain Break" (Terrain - Terrain Objects - Terrain Break) object where the terrain abruptly changes  in elevation. I also often use custom slabs instead of retaining walls because slaps and polyline solids are easier to control how  they interact with terrain.

DJP

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, BDG2244 said:

So I should break the imported terrains furnished by my client

Terrain maps are by default the existing conditions of a piece of land, one has to alter to some degree the existing to accommodate the new structure always.

DJP

4 hours ago, BDG2244 said:

So I should break the imported terrains furnished by my client where the elevation changes need to take place with new retaining walls?

Yes, to put it simply.

And then use Elevation Regions for your flat areas.

Chief will auto build the slopes between the flat Elevation Regions.

Use Elevation Lines to force sloping areas - similar to drawing a contour line.

Make sure you don't confuse Chief by overlapping any terrain data. 

• Upvote 1