BUILD>IMAGE>CREATE BILLBOARD IMAGE...

toyotaracer247

I used billboards as backgrounds in some projects on X12.  With X14 I can't figure out how to use them.  If I search on Chief Architect's site and under Support or Knowledge Base, it does not provide results for the billboard tool. 

BUILD>IMAGE>CREATE BILLBOARD IMAGE...

I want to apply images from the Chief Architect Core Catalogs> Materials>Artwork>Photos>Scenery catalog to Billboards.

I know there were instructions for using Billboards in previous versions of Chief.  Does anyone have a link or tutorial?

The only work around I've found is to apply the scenery material to 3d solids.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

When you hover over the "create billboard image" tool, you should be able to hit F1 key to bring up help.  As far as I know, the only difference between billboards and images is that images always face the camera and billboards don't.

The scenery catalog in the core libraries just contains "materials", not "billboards".   I think all you want is the texture file that is being used.  If you copy one of these to your user catalog and open it up, you can see where the texture file is coming from.  It's hiding inside of a zip file.  If you want to use this same texture in a billboard, I don't know if you can use it if it's in a zip file, so you might need to manually extract that texture first.

BTW, I'm not sure if there are any advantages using a billboard.  Personally, I always just paint the material onto a surface because I think it is less work and easier to edit.