Exploding Eve's

Evolution

Go to solution Solved by Evolution,

The plywood soffit (bottom of my eve overhang on the porch) is exploding away from the rafters. Previously when that happened the roof planes over an entry on a skewed section of the plan (6degree angle) weren't parallel. This time that's not the case.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the timber trusses I added, as I did a similar cover on the 2nd floor deck where the existing summer house main level accesses the lake house 2nd floor deck, and no problem with the soffit plywood there!?  I checked the dbx on the roof planes to Bsure the rafter sizes are the same. Plywood thickness is the same also.

I AM SURE it's an easy fix! AT the end of the day, however; I am almost BRAIN DEAD!

post-1662-0-85072800-1423605495_thumb.png

post-1662-0-25948800-1423605526_thumb.png

Current Progress Set 2.10.2015.zip

Check the "Framing" tab of each roof plane and you will find that your settings are forcing the unsightly results, adjust those settings to reflect exactly how you are actually building.

DJP

David, you're always great to help. I opened the roof dbx, chk'd framing didn't see anything unusual, compared it to the other roof's dbx's where the soffit ISN'T exploding and the framing is exactly the same.

LIKE ALWAYS, I'm sure I am looking in the wrong place, but that's because I don't know where else to look!

post-1662-0-30086900-1423675500_thumb.png

Not an expert but but you have selected Roof Plane Specification. On that tab - Roof Layer. Ceilings are ticked.

Your room (porch) does not have a ceiling.

When  un-tick ceilings  the roof/ceiling problem disappears. Does this solve your problem?

It maybe the ceiling height of your porch and the roof height are not correct.

post-127-0-27225600-1423753147_thumb.png

• Solution

Not an expert but but you have selected Roof Plane Specification. On that tab - Roof Layer. Ceilings are ticked.

Your room (porch) does not have a ceiling.

When  un-tick ceilings  the roof/ceiling problem disappears. Does this solve your problem?

It maybe the ceiling height of your porch and the roof height are not correct.

Well ED, just a simple matter of removing the check from use room ceiling finish. I suppose I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT, but not sure where I would have learned it. SOME ONE tell me it's in the user guide or manual.

On to the next challenge! ;-)

Well ED, just a simple matter of removing the check from use room ceiling finish. I suppose I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT, but not sure where I would have learned it. SOME ONE tell me it's in the user guide or manual.

On to the next challenge! ;-)

I'm glad your problem is solved. It's just a simple matter! I think not. there is a lot to say about how intuitive Chief is.

It is there in help. When the Roof Plane Specification dbx is open and options selected you can press the help button and scroll down to find it. But you do have to know it's there. So how would you know? I guess it's part of the learning curve.