Unable to draw a multi-pitch as-built roof between 2 hip roofs

CanadaChristine

Go to solution Solved by CanadaChristine,

Hi all

I was hoping for some help and/or suggestions on how to best produce the multi-pitch roof set between 2 hip roof planes on this as-built. I've tried using the auto functions, and doing things manually, with no success yet. I'm returning to Chief after a 15 year absence, so I'm essentially a newby on the program.

The attached photo shows the house I'm working with.  It's not obvious on the picture, but the front roof plane is double pitch.  Lower pitch is 3/12, upper pitch is 5/12. 

Thanks so much in advance!

Koster.jpg

Koster 1.1.plan

43 minutes ago, CanadaChristine said:

Hi all

I was hoping for some help and/or suggestions on how to best produce the multi-pitch roof set between 2 hip roof planes on this as-built. I've tried using the auto functions, and doing things manually, with no success yet. I'm returning to Chief after a 15 year absence, so I'm essentially a newby on the program.

The attached photo shows the house I'm working with.  It's not obvious on the picture, but the front roof plane is double pitch.  Lower pitch is 3/12, upper pitch is 5/12. 

Thanks so much in advance!

Koster.jpg

Koster 1.1.plan 9 MB · 0 downloads

I'm not at a computer, but with auto roofs on, select the porch railing wall, open it and go to the Roof tab. There you have the option to specify two roof pitches for the roof plane bearing on the railing wall.

Awesome Glenn!  Thanks you so much.  I didn't have auto roofs turned on :wacko:  Told you I'm an old newby.  I'll play with it from here on, but if there are any quick suggestions on how to clean up the front of this roof, I'd be much obliged.  The front fascia is continuous all the way along.  In other words, porch fascia matches that of the porch in plane and elevation.

I guess I should have specified that I'm using X15 on a Mac.  Last time I used Chief was the 2006 version 10 :)

Thanks again, Christine

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 6.43.28 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 7.47.25 AM.png

Edited by CanadaChristine
forgot to include an attachment before posting

5 hours ago, CanadaChristine said:

I didn't have auto roofs turned on :wacko:

Uh! :lol:

On 4/22/2023 at 3:06 PM, Chrisb222 said:

I'm not at a computer, but with auto roofs on, select the porch railing wall, open it and go to the Roof tab. There you have the option to specify two roof pitches for the roof plane bearing on the railing wall.

5 hours ago, CanadaChristine said:

any quick suggestions on how to clean up the front of this roof. In other words, porch fascia matches that of the porch in plane and elevation.

I run into this a lot, where two roof planes with different pitches cause the overhangs to act strangely. I recently sent it in to tech support and they basically said, yeah, it's "incorrect functionality" and "we don't know when it will be fixed, switch to manual roofs." :blink: