Plan database. how does the preview work

SHCanada2

I do a lot of the same form factor but different floor plans. Its a bit of a pain trying to put a description of each into the filename. the problem is when I cant remember what is in a file, I actaully start looking through the PDFs, but there are often 3 or 4 pdfs for each one, so I have to consciously look the see which is the latest, then open that one. anyway a PITA

I decided to try the CA "plan database" to see if I could preview the floor plan. It looks like the feature is there, but it almost seems random in what it displays. I will click different floor plans and sometimes the preview does not change even thought the sq ft it displays is changing

it looks like it might be showing the foundation sometimes and the main floor plan sometimes. I can actually tell because the preview is no legible

the dialog is not resizeable.

Has anyone used the plan database and know how does the preview work?

image.thumb.png.b09f64516e47cf2b2f8352bbe64bce6c.png

thanks

Preferences>General>File Management>Thumbnail Images>Small or Large.

If this is toggled on, a thumbnail image is created when you FIRST save the file.

You can also create a custom image like a 3D view or a floor plan at any time.

Set up the screen to display what you want and then go File>Save Thumbnail Image.

Save the plan and update the Plan Database.

If you are using Windows, the thumbnail should also display as the file icon - but pretty useless for plan identification.

The thumbnail in the Plan Database is pretty useless as well.

It needs to be larger and clearer. 

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 10.23.18 am.jpg

• Upvote 2

Just thinking about this a bit more and being mindful that you really don't seem to need the functions of the Find Plan Assistant.

You may be better using Explorer to get something like the picture below instead of trying to do it in Chief.

I am a Mac user so we don't see a thumbnail, but you should see the thumbnail in Windows - do you still use Explorer? It's been a while since I used windows!

You should see your thumbnail in Explorer instead of the image we see on a mac. 

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 1.07.22 pm.jpg

thanks I will try that, I might be able to use the square footage sometimes for searching, but a most of the time I'm looking for a plan that is merely described to me verbally. i.e. I am told "remember that one you did with the ...."

Now that I think about it, I could probably use the sq fototage to narrow it down first, then look at the preview.

The only thing missing in the search is the last mod time, that would be helpful, as sometimes I am told, "the one you did last summer", but maybe the windows search combined with the thumbnail is another option