Best Way to Create Outside Deck Rim-Joist Mounted Railing

Ortosky

Our main rail style when we build is bolting the rail posts to the outside of the deck.  I manually create posts in Chief and place them along the edge.  I then create a rail with no newels and drag it between all the posts.  I choose no room definition but it still wants to grab onto the floor or an adjacent rail or even build a partial brick wall below like in this video.  Has anyone come up with a best practice for outside mounted rails and/or just creating a floating rail that doesn't want to attach itself to an existing deck and make the floor disappear or build partial walls below it?. Attached is a movie showing typical rail behavior as well as a typical rail style we build which I'm trying to create in Chief.  The is X12.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 12.29.45 PM.png

Have you tried setting the thickness of the railing wall to something like 1/16"?  Railings are always centered along the wall so making a thin wall should move the railing out so that the post is half off the deck.  Also, if you want to move it in, you can just make the wall thicker.

There are lots of other workarounds, some of which work better than others but the above is the easiest.  Other than that, upgrading to X15 might be worth doing because they have a bunch more controls over the railings.

• Upvote 1