Simple roof transition not building correctly

SkullMesaRanch

Go to solution Solved by Doug_N,

Will someone check my file and see what I'm doing wrong with this roof transition?  I can't delete the end truss shown below and am not sure how it got there.  I did delete one of the longer trusses at the transition.  Also, how do you keep the attic walls from having drywall interiors?  I suspect I need to rebuild the roof but didn't want to lose the work I've done. 

image.thumb.png.30a548fdd578707845e6a7edaffbc2e1.png

Skull Mesa Ranch.zip

Your gable wall is not in line with the wall below and what your seeing is the wall framing not a truss. Line the walls and the framing will rebuild. You can make a new wall type for the gable walls and remove the drywall in the wall type specification. If you want end trusses draw a truss at the ends and mark the end truss and check force truss rebuild. You will probobly then have to turn off auto wall framing and manually delete the end gable framing.

Capture.thumb.PNG.e4194cf8b0868ecc36e2b9fe7405cb4d.PNG

• Solution
17 hours ago, SkullMesaRanch said:

Will someone check my file and see what I'm doing wrong with this roof transition?  I can't delete the end truss shown below and am not sure how it got there.  I did delete one of the longer trusses at the transition.  Also, how do you keep the attic walls from having drywall interiors?  I suspect I need to rebuild the roof but didn't want to lose the work I've done. 

image.thumb.png.30a548fdd578707845e6a7edaffbc2e1.png

Skull Mesa Ranch.zip 4.08 MB · 8 downloads

Hi

In the file that you posted there were a couple of things that I noticed in the file before I did anything other than open it.

1) The roofs were in manual. CA would not generate any changes to the roof structure.

2) The wall assembly that has exposed framing has stucco on one side and drywall on the other.

So I dug into the geometry of the roof and wall as shown in your screen shot

image.thumb.png.068d9df30f7bd94a4fabde4538c75df4.png

Notice that the longer roof does not cover the wall below (that is an attic wall.)

Also notice that the shorter roof cuts halfway into the attic roof.

image.thumb.png.27dcf1ca119a1aaf9e1b528a8e2b6a86.png

So by pulling back the shorter roof to just touch the attic wall the outer stucco layer shows and the framing is hidden.

Also pulling out the longer roof, an adequate roof overhang is achieved.

image.thumb.png.bb8997eaf5549b11f3dd3a176749a8f6.png

Hopefully this helps.

1 hour ago, Doug_N said:

Hi

In the file that you posted there were a couple of things that I noticed in the file before I did anything other than open it.

1) The roofs were in manual. CA would not generate any changes to the roof structure.

2) The wall assembly that has exposed framing has stucco on one side and drywall on the other.

Notice that the longer roof does not cover the wall below (that is an attic wall.)

So by pulling back the shorter roof to just touch the attic wall the outer stucco layer shows and the framing is hidden.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for spelling it out so clearly, Doug.  My main problem was that I didn't think it was suppose to have a overhang.  All is good for now.

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2023 at 7:37 AM, Doug_N said:

Hi

Hopefully this helps.

Hi Doug,

I've run into this same problem again and can't seem to find my way.  I have a gap between the long roof and short roof walls.  When I move the short roof wall towards the long roof wall (any distance) it goes back to showing drywall (instead of stucco) on the attic wall.  I've also tried moving the porch wall.  This gave me the most success but then the truss didn't line up well.  Do you have time to look at this?

image.thumb.png.b84c5c755bb3f458cd08beec8411bffd.pngimage.thumb.png.b13b5eb0ebc9b6950884c5e5b282c690.png

houseandbarn.zip

image.thumb.png.8445a9a54fa6af39fa57e0b5dec1cf4b.png

There are a few issues with this arrangement.  The deck beam is not as wide as the stucco wall and the stucco attic wall lines up with the attic wall over the main part of the house.

You have a couple of choices to work around the problem.

1) you can make a jog in the attic wall so that the outer surface of the wall lines up with the beam below, then edit the roof to match the wall.

2) you can move the railing wall to make the exterior surface of the beam align with the exterior surface of the attic wall above, and then no roof edit is necessary.

3) you can edit the roof to intersect with the beam and then change to attic roof so that where the roof cuts the wall, below the roof it is drywall and above the roof it is stucco type.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:11 PM, Doug_N said:

There are a few issues with this arrangement.  The deck beam is not as wide as the stucco wall and the stucco attic wall lines up with the attic wall over the main part of the house.

You have a couple of choices to work around the problem.

1) you can make a jog in the attic wall so that the outer surface of the wall lines up with the beam below, then edit the roof to match the wall.

2) you can move the railing wall to make the exterior surface of the beam align with the exterior surface of the attic wall above, and then no roof edit is necessary.

3) you can edit the roof to intersect with the beam and then change to attic roof so that where the roof cuts the wall, below the roof it is drywall and above the roof it is stucco type.

Hi Doug,  I had some underlining problems with my attic walls.  One of the other members pointed out the issues.  Once I fixed wall alignment and wall type issues, the roof built correctly, automatically.   Thanks for being so responsive.