Make As Cabinet Filler?

MarkMc

Mark,

I need to do a bit of searching in the Library.  It seems to me there are a lot of them.

Can you explain a bit more what you are looking for? 

Some of the millwork symbols could probably be used to define fillers as "Cabinets".  The process is a bit convoluted though because you have to export to 3DS and then import back into Chief in order to define it as a "Cabinet".

All the fluted "fillers" I can find are pilasters, category and layer millwork.

I'd like:

-to have a standard fluted filler (actually a few) just as I would order- 3/4" thick to go between cabinets.

-it to have a countertop.

-control over the toe kick height and depth so I can also use fluted extended stiles with flutes.

-it to be dealt with as a cabinet by locate objects in dimensions.

In a perfect world I'd also like to find an easy way to flute the face of a clipped corner without adding dimensions to it.

In the past I have tried making a very thin filler to use as a pilaster under accessories- works so so but throws of dimensions.

On a side note- I just noticed that the specify origin option is gone from symbol import.

Mark,

I took a Millwork Pilaster from the Library, set a Stretch Plane at y = -1/4", modified the depth to 24", exported to 3DS and imported back in as a Cabinet.  This

post-47-0-85222600-1423334384_thumb.jpg is the result.

Is this what you are looking for?  It acts just like a base cabinet but the width, height and depth are fixed.  If you want different sizes you would have to do the above for each size.

Exactly all dimensions are fixed and no toe kick height. I'd tried 3ds out and in a few times before posting.

One of the ones I brought in causes error messages in x7 when moved, so deleted that and brought it in as millwork without a problem. That one was 3/4" deep, made from solids, I needed a 2" with different flutes than what is available.

I was hoping that there would be an option for "filler" and that might give me what I need. This is one of those jobs I miss 2020- lot of flutes, lot of integrated end panels- at least it doesn't have clipped corners.

I'm not just being prissy about the size Joe. The plan has a dozen of these in 3 sizes, client wants to see options so the sizes are subject to change. It is also being done in two cabinet lines- one with 4" toe the other with 4-1/2". When done as mill work it is possible to resize cabinets so they overlap the fluted object leading to size mistakes which is why I embarked on this.

Mark,

Have you considered converting a pilaster to a "Cabinet Door" symbol?  Then you can use just a plain cabinet with a drawer and assign the "Cabinet Door" from the Library.  That will allow full use of all the Cabinet adjustments but still give you the filler you want.

• Upvote 1

Great idea Joe. Just tried  a 2" cabinet with 0" reveals, thought I used to get 1/16" reveal no matter what but it worked. I'd given up and made the first set in the hopes of few changes. Now just have to bring them in as doors, your a life saver, thanks again.

No that isn't it. When those work they are the same depth as the door- a fluted filler attaches to the cabinet box at the stile as in the pic. Also, as in your picture it alters the other side of the cabinet. I've tried making really shallow ones for fluted clipped corners in the past but they don't work either. (Right now none I try are showing at all but not worrying about that- Just about never use the accessory options since it never does what I need.)

Thanks for trying, will just tough it out.

Too bad.thought I finally had a fix for this- there are a number of variations where this comes up and have had a run of them in the last year.

The good news is that I have a couple of special fluted symbols I didn't have, thanks to your boolean operations :)

post-85-0-26752200-1423360516_thumb.jpg

Only works for the one place that I can put fillers on a single cabinet.

I might be able to use the new split cabinet tool but I'm not going there.

I tested that on other parts of this job and do not like it. Have had an easier to use version of that available in 2020 for years and rarely use it. I'll bet the marketing boys love it though.

Thanks again Joe. I'm almost done with all this now anyway...now the design committee will change it all again.

post-85-0-17090200-1423402444_thumb.jpg